General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Question about the roof

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough
Default Question about the roof

I'm trying to make additional storage inside my truck and what I plan on doing is bolting two pieces of wood to the ceiling (I guess that's the word), then screw hooks into the wood, and finally setting a (cargo?) net on the hooks.

My question is where should I drill the holes for the bolts?

I don't want to poke through the roof.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:02 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

thats going to be hard . ID pull the head liner off and see if you have any thing to screw on too..

I bet there is spots where is ticker to support the roof. That would be your best bet to screw in to.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

These bumps?

I have no idea how to take the headliner off, is it hard?

Attached Thumbnails Question about the roof-fxig8l.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Not sure craig And those might be them.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

To get the headliner down all the way, you need to remove the overhead console (obviously), sun visors, a, b, and c pillar covers, all grab handles, and the rear cargo light cover. Then there may also be some glue holding the middle onto the roof as well. And yes there should be bracing under the bumps in the headliner to support the roof.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:06 PM
BF Veteran

Dang, that's a lot of work. I might just risk it and drill, if I poke through I'll putty it over.

Old 12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
BF Guru

I think if you pass your hand on the liner you should feel the supports

Make sure you use small screws.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah I think there is about 1/4 inch between the support and the roof, and the headliner is about 1/4 inch (when not compressed) as well.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You would be able to attach bolts to the roof cross supports in the pictures you posted, but if you're attaching more than 1 or 2 lbs make sure you use bolts and not screws. There's no way a screw would stand up to the weight an vibration hanging from the roof. Also, you only have about 1/4" space up there.

When I used to install video systems in vehicles we used the crossbeams all the time for support, but you do have to be careful not to dimple or pierce the roof. It's VERY thin steel and it's really easy to mess up. Yes, I did it once on a brand new minivan I installed a video system into. The shop had just bought new screws that turned out to be 1/8th inch longer than the ones we used before, and they dimpled the roof slightly. Cost my shop a pretty penny to fix. It's funny but it probably would never have been noticed if the van's owner wasn't 8 feet tall. I think that was my most costly screwup working there.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran

I plan on using bolts, yeah. Someone suggested that the wood should be 1x2 so how big would the bolts have to be to go through the wood and still have enough left over to go through the supports?

Also thanks for the replies. I'll try not to hurt the roof but I personally don't care if I mess up slightly as long as I can fix it so I don't get leaks.

Quick Reply: Question about the roof