General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Quick question

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Quick question

Without the lights on & I apply the brake the left tail lights up.

When I have my park lights on & I apply the brakes, both tail & stop go out. (left side only)

What's gone wrong? Fuses are all ok.

Old 08-22-2009, 12:14 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Were you tinkering with the bulbs at all? If you changed em you may just have to turn the bulb around the opposite way you installed them.

Never mind that plan. I misread.

Ya looks like an electrical problem, and I can't help ya there. Sorry!!

Last edited by RangerG; 08-22-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:20 AM
BF Veteran

No problem. Surprisingly I don't recall any members being auto electricians, but I'm sure someone will have the answer. Otherwise I'll pop into a auto elec shop Monday morning.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:55 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

sounds like a bad ground or the filament in the bulb has gotten weak or busted and is touching where it shouldnt..try a new bulb/s

Old 08-22-2009, 03:50 AM
BF Veteran

Got new bulb - still same problem.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:02 AM
reelbroke2 is on a distinguished road

a simple test with a test light should point you in the right direction i still say a bad ground (corrosion in the socket perhaps)unscrew the tail light and check the wiring there

Old 08-22-2009, 07:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reelbroke2
sounds like a bad ground or the filament in the bulb has gotten weak or busted and is touching where it shouldnt..try a new bulb/s
Originally Posted by reelbroke2
a simple test with a test light should point you in the right direction i still say a bad ground (corrosion in the socket perhaps)unscrew the tail light and check the wiring there
My thoughts as well. A bad ground can cause the circuit to back feed and cause all sorts of issues to crop up.

Do you have the normal US spec tail lamps or the Euro spec?

Old 08-22-2009, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran

Euro specs. The lenses only house 3 bulbs. The 4th (rear fogs) I've tucked away behind the unit - with the bulbs still in. Been like this since I fitted them & have always worked till now.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see if I can dig up a wiring schematic for the Euro spec tail lamps.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Bberry20 is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem with mine and went through a flooded road last fall and now it has worked fine! I know this doesnt help you with your problem. I went to tow my trailer and the trailer lights wont work. Turn signals and brakes do. Replaced the fuse under the hood and they worked for about 10 minutes on the road then the fuse blows. Cant find a short anywhere through the wiring. Who knows.

Quick Reply: Quick question