General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Reverse lights when hitting brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Reverse lights when hitting brakes?

What happens if you disconnect your wiring (i.e. remove the 5 pin connector)?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Beginning Member
drmrman is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine did it too on my led light bar... I just dont use that wire any more... I pulled it out of the pack of wires and safely isolated it away from the rest of them...

Old 06-16-2008, 07:14 AM
lombard is an unknown quantity at this point

Since I decided to do things the "right" way and solder all my connections, I haven't built up the desire yet to remove the connector to see what happens.

I'll probably end up doing that some time this week. First step is going be to just cut away the electrical tape i wrapped the whole bundle in to make sure there are no bare wires exposed (doubtful since I used heat shrink tubing on each individual wire connection). After that it'll be time to start undoing all my nice solder work.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One thing worth trying is a continuity check between terminals on the connector. There should be no continuity between any of the pins in the connector. I wish I could type more in each reply...

*EDIT* - Lets try some pictures...
Park Schematic:

Backup Schematic:

Brake/Turn Schematic:

Old 06-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Yeah, I'll hit the terminals with my multimeter before I dig in to it. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm just hoping there's no inductive influences causing this.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Alright I went and took a lookie, turns out theres 2 green wires one dark, one light...and they were combined into the connecter green wire.

You ever do something..knowing your doing it wrong, but still continue to do it?

I cut the lighter one first, and woohoo, its working fine again!

Old 06-16-2008, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

7 pin FTW!

If I ever need to tow a 4 pin equipped trailer, I'll spend $5 on a 7 -> 4 pin adapter

But I'm pretty sure any trailer I tow is going to be 7 pin.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:04 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

Im only towing a 4x8 from harbor frieght for my atv.

so a 4 pin does the trick.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:32 AM

Well, I pulled out my trusty multimeter yesterday. I really need to study those schematics...had all kinds of weird results. With the key off, I got continuity between all the terminals on the plug (ranging from .8 ohm to 2 ohm). With the key on, I got continuity between them if I had the polarity of the meter one way, but didn't if the polarity was switched. Guess there's some diodes or something in there. Just a warning for others expecting zero continuity between the wires.

Anyway, I was always getting continuity between the reverse terminal and the left turn/brake terminal. Figured I had a short somewhere, so I cut away the tape I had the whole wire bundle wrapped in and inspected my connections. There was no obvious exposed wires, but when I physically separated the wires from each other the problem went away. Ended up just wrapping each wire splice with an additional couple of layers of tape, then re-taped the whole bundle. Problem's gone.

Embarassing that it was just my workmanship. I guess the heat shrink tubing just shrank too much and split open allowing a few wire strands to short out to each other. At least the problem's fixed.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Well, glad it was something simple! No need to be embarrassed. It happens to the best of us!