General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Roof Rack Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
TexasRaider is on a distinguished road
Default Roof Rack Suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good roof rack setup or brand.
Everything I find seems to be either overpriced or totally not what I'm looking for. Was wondering if anyone has had really good luck with anything or can tell me what to stay away from.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'm partial to my Surco rack! It's the 4560 model which translates to 45"x60".

Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Beginning Member

I've looked at Surco racks, but I think I may have issues with the brackets. Where did you get yours?

By the way, love your tagline! Your ride is Damn sweet, too!

Old 10-01-2014, 09:30 AM
Starting Member
HARDTRAILZ is on a distinguished road

I have had years of good luck with my Yakima Load Warrior and extention. It holds three Plano xxl sportman boxes and my folding table and couple chairs nicely. I have it mounted on Thule crossbars.

Name:  IMG_20140731_0005331_zps3d088c5b.jpg
Views: 5296
Size:  168.4 KB

Name:  2012-10-12_16-50-56_728_zpsc84630d7.jpg
Views: 1715
Size:  189.6 KB

Awhile back, I had ditched that and went with a cheap homebrew setup. Used the thule bars and bolted a tri-fold aluminum atv ramp to them. Worked excellently. In fact if I did not want the basket for protection of the light bar I would go back to it as it gained me 1 MPG even with the lights on it. The angled light mount/fairing is aluminum diamond plate I had laying around. The rack was strong, low profile,, lightweight...everything you generally want in a rack unless you really need or want a basket.

Name:  BLpicScott_zpsd2ce4e2c.jpg
Views: 1394
Size:  106.7 KB

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Suggestions?-tunnelcalendar_zps1c0f7cd3.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
BLpicScott_zpsd2ce4e2c.jpg (106.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I just used metal ubolts around te factory rack and drilled my own holes in the Surco rack to fit the ubolts. It held on so well that when a tree limb caught the Surco rack/hi lift it ripped my factory rack straight off my roof but was still connected lol! I have since built new bars to fit in place of the factory ones that are much more secure and I have the Surco rack bolted to the new bars.

My buddy has a trailblazer and copied the atv ramp setup that hardtrailz had and it was actually pretty bada**! Sturdy and low profile.

Hardtrailz you've seen his truck he's "blazintrails03" on offroadtb.com

Old 10-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, thanks for the input. My problem now is getting a factory/OEM Luggage rack. I was changing a flat once and my wife, who really was trying to help, God bless her, reached up and grabbed the luggage rack and *SNAP*. Finding a Replacement has not been an easy endeavor.

Old 10-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
HARDTRAILZ is on a distinguished road

I keep thinking of removing my factory rails and going with something stronger like this people use for RTT and such.

Superstrut

Attached Thumbnails Roof Rack Suggestions?-rtt007_zps4674bbca.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by HARDTRAILZ
I keep thinking of removing my factory rails and going with something stronger like this people use for RTT and such.

Superstrut

I haven't ever thought about that! And I work in a hardware store. Thanks, gonna take a look at my vendors and see what I can come up with. This is why I'm glad to have found this site: new ideas to think outside the box.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

That's why I built mine out of 1.5" square 11ga steel tube and its thru bolted to the inside of the cab for strength

Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member

No kidding! The factory ones are pretty much crap anyway.

Quick Reply: Roof Rack Suggestions?