General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Roofracks on...or off

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 11:05 PM
Xenon4300 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Roofracks on...or off

Yeah, but isnt there a large indentation? I want it to be flush and match the roof. Someone mentioned shaving down the rubber mount peice flush then painting it... I have not experimented with it yet until I install my spoiler/third brake light. Also... it is an S-10...?

Old 01-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Starting Member
Blazin1 is an unknown quantity at this point

BeforeI took off the 3rd brake light i thought it was going to have 1 big hole like the S10 pick-up, but it's not. As far as indentation,I don't think there is any. If your spoiler is going directly above the holes where the light used to be, then you probably don't need to cover them, but make sure to have a good water tight seal.I'll take a pick of mine whene I get home to show you what I'm talking about. What year is your Blazer???

Old 01-07-2009, 01:26 AM

It is a 2000. The existing third brake light is on the roof, the spoiler/third brake light is mounted on the top of the glass.

This is what will occur:

Old 01-07-2009, 02:10 PM
Starting Member

Ok I see what you mean, so that spoiler doesn't really go on the roof. You are going to have to plug the 4 little holes. Since these holes are small I couldn't see why they would need welded fillers, besides it would be a PITA to do.What I did was to put a small amount of tuff stuff (the yellow foam insulation) I know it sounds GHETTO but you just need it there so the Bondo doesn't drip. After the foam dries you sand it down (If you used too much like I did at first) remember that the foam expands so you just need a tiny bit of foam. After the sanding, I carved out a little cavity in each holeto make sure each hole would be filled by Bondo (don't carve all the way down or you'll defeat the purpose). Then Just apply the Bondo and sand it down (after it's dry of course) till it's flush with the roof. Of course your going to have to paint it to match the rest of the roof. This is what I did with my roof rack holes and it worked perfect. Now if I just had some time to do the third brake light!!!! Well I started it. If you are intrested, I'll send or post pics of the progress so you get a better idea. How much did you pay for the spoiler? What year Envoy?

Old 01-07-2009, 09:20 PM

Alright I will give something to that effect a try. These spoilers are nearly impossible to find. The only way you can obtain one is if you happen to find a used part. Also, I'm not sure if it is completely necessary but they are generally sold with the rear glass they are attached to. I found one for $175 spoiler/glass total on eBay. It took me months and months to come across one. GMC, after an hour of just trying to FIND the part in their system, wants $600 for a new one. It comes on most of the 1998-2001 Envoys. It will not fit the 2-door models, but Wings West does offer this one for two doors:

What did you do, just completely remove your third brake light?

Old 01-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, I'm completetly getting rid of the 3rd BL, I didn't cut the wire though. I'm going for a smooth look. I plan on also shaving the tail lights and putting LED'son the inside ofthe hatch window. I just have to find a place where they carry fillers for my blazer.I know they have them for the older Blazers, but I haven't seen them for ours. That 2dr wing looks prettysick, I'll have to hunt one down. What is the website for the 2dr wing???

Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM

Wingswest.com I believe. Another member on an s-10 forum said their site is under construction and it's not listed but here is the info:

Price = $199
Shipping (to TX) $65

Part# 591230

And you can call them (626) 839 0986 and order it.

Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Starting Member

Cool thanks for the info.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:24 AM
c5ce is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to be different, maybe chrome them in "Black Chrome".

Old 01-10-2009, 12:38 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: c5ce

Just to be different, maybe chrome them in "Black Chrome".
Yeah, that could possibly be a cool look, but I prefer the smooth/shaved look plus that would probably cost some serious $$$

Quick Reply: Roofracks on...or off