General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

S10 Electric Vehicle!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Beginning Member
spatula6554 is on a distinguished road
Default S10 Electric Vehicle!

Check this out...who says that the Blazer is an antiquated platform and drivetrain never saw one of these beauties...

Too bad the batteries are outdated and probably does not have an onboard recharging system (KERS or regenerative braking) but still cool to see that 1.5 decades ago, the Blazer was at the forefront of the EV revolution.

Last edited by spatula6554; 03-15-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Bad capitalization... :-(
Old 03-15-2012, 03:51 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

"Alas, all of GM’s good ideas needed to be squashed to make room for more Cavaliers and Suburbans"

Alas indeed. I have no problem with Suburbans, but personally prefer the S10 size vehicle. Since the death of them I haven't seen a Chevy that I actually want ... Well, a 1-ton dually would be cool, but not as a DD

Old 03-15-2012, 05:01 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

what i dont get is that the imports can pull off elec cars and gm has so many problems.
volt?? and the first attempt the EV-1.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:25 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

you guys crack me up. Did you read all the comments? Lots of common sense in there.. not much in the article.
If I was around there and it was 20 years ago I might'a bought one to play with.

The problem of course - illustrated by the Sandia story - is that only Ed Begley and his ilk really loved the EV-1.
He's so freaking Gaia cultist he'd rave about it if he had to push the thing back every time he went out.

And nobody YET has made much of where we gonna get the power to charge the batteries if everyone has one?

Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Beginning Member
spatula6554 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
you guys crack me up. Did you read all the comments? Lots of common sense in there.. not much in the article.
If I was around there and it was 20 years ago I might'a bought one to play with.

The problem of course - illustrated by the Sandia story - is that only Ed Begley and his ilk really loved the EV-1.
He's so freaking Gaia cultist he'd rave about it if he had to push the thing back every time he went out.

And nobody YET has made much of where we gonna get the power to charge the batteries if everyone has one?
This idea makes sense...yet most of these EVs are really for city dwellers with a minimal travel distance. Anyone who has a considerable distance to commute would still be best served by some sort of long range fuel, perhaps biodiesel, since ethanol is a joke and gasoline is too econo-politically driven.

Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I think making hybrids is a dead-end road. Batteries aren't an efficient source of power. A juice sucking cordless tool can tell you that. I look for someone to come up with something new and bizarre. An energy source we haven't thought of yet. Because gas will most likely run completely out in 40 to 50 years.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

how about solar? some of my college associates helped on this build...
UM Solar Vehicle Team's Solar Black Bear

Old 03-15-2012, 11:36 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

That's not a blazer. Those are uncommon but were only offered as a reg cab truck. Somebody just put a camper on the back. Most of them I've seen were white but I have seen a red one. The airport near here had a fleet and everybody I talked to said they hated them.

Chevrolet S-10 EV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-16-2012, 12:47 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

The battery technology is there for the electric cars... but the problem is making it affordable. No one will pay 100k for a Prius. Solar power is great unless you life in Seattle, then you only get to drive your car twice a year. Biodiesel is good, but then the problem of supply and demand come in, same with ethanol.

I think our only real options are electricity, either A battery that can take a quick charge without getting ruined after 5 charges will have to be made cheaply somehow. lol OR put mini nuclear power plants in every car if technology could ever come out to make that not extremely hazardous and deadly. Thats actually not a bad idea.. but i cant see that being very cheap or being very safe any time soon

Old 03-16-2012, 09:00 AM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

I'd drive a nuke. The general public has been fed misinformation for so long that they are terrified of anything that hints at radioactivity. It's kinda sad.

Second choice is hydrogen. Pure water as exhaust and higher energy density than gasoline. Making it requires energy, of course, but that's the kind of thing solar would be great for

eta - not "making" it really, extracting it, purifying, whatchacallit.

Quick Reply: S10 Electric Vehicle!