General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Shameful Neglect

Old 11-12-2013, 06:57 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Shameful Neglect

So as much as I have denied it I have finally admitted and accepted that in the three years that I have owned my blazer I have not taken care of it. So with a long road trip in the coming weeks I decided to clean the throttle body, MAF, plugs and wires if I'm really feeling brave and seafoam the old beast. So I guess to get to the point does anybody have any advice or tips or negative feedback on any products I could be looking at to chose from. Any information would be appreciated. And any stories of your own neglect to make me feel better would be nice too.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

brake cleaner and toothbrush for throttle body.
seafoam in the brake booster (running,have someone hold it at 3k till you pour last 1" in)
plugs=ac delco coppers or ngk v powers
wires=meh ive noticed no differences.
maf=NOTHING but mass air flow cleaner.
run gumout in the tank.
make sure air filter and fuel filter is done too. makes a big difference.

/thread lol

Old 11-13-2013, 05:35 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
brake cleaner and toothbrush for throttle body.

Goodness NO! Use ONLY throttle body cleaner in the throttle body. Anything else, especially carburetor or brake cleaner will damage the TPS and even the interior of the intake plenum. Use throttle body cleaner and a paper towel to clean the inside on the throttle body. If a small piece of paper towel gets in the intake, it'll burn in the cylinder.

I assume you're going to change the oil and filter on this engine.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:13 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

41-993 AC Delco plugs with a gap of .060" (don't forget or neglect cylinder #3).
AC Delco distributor cap & rotor. Put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap.
Might want to check fuel pressure and leakdown too, (post the results).

Old 11-13-2013, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Goodness NO! Use ONLY throttle body cleaner in the throttle body. Anything else, especially carburetor or brake cleaner will damage the TPS and even the interior of the intake plenum. Use throttle body cleaner and a paper towel to clean the inside on the throttle body. If a small piece of paper towel gets in the intake, it'll burn in the cylinder.

I assume you're going to change the oil and filter on this engine.
ive used brake cleaner on all of mine. Never any issues, ive had my fair share of blazers too. Now is it the best idea? No. will it work? yes at least in my cases. the ONLY thing that is specific is mass air flow sensor cleaner. Only thing i wanna say is make sure the brake cleaner is cfc free. DONT use it on the maf sensor. as for the interior or the manifold,nothing matters as we have mpfi and fuels injected directly into the cylinder runner. brake cleaner will evaporate before damage is happened. Now,maf sensors..its platinum and brake cleaner is a no no as it leaves deposits. maf cleaner doesn't. the tps is closed off with a seal to keep it from having vacuum leaks. brake cleaner wont harm it.