General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Shocks need replaced

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member
Clann91 is on a distinguished road
Post Shocks need replaced

Ok Ive got a 98 Blazer LT 2dr 4.3L Vortec V6 and it needs new shocks badly. Sagging terrible in the back and the front is getting way too soft in the braking. Ive looked at Gabriel shocks, Edelbrock shocks, and Bilstein shocks. Any better ideas for good quality shocks? It is an everyday driver and I need something that is known to last.

Old 06-13-2012, 01:07 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Go with monroe reflex monotube. I replaced some ranchos with them after my local store stopped carrying rancho. They are great shocks for the money.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 PM
NWBackwoods is on a distinguished road

Sagging is caused by springs, Shocks are for dampening.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

X2 on both posts! Spot on perfect!

Monroe Reflex monotube, fantastic shox and you won't regret buying them!

Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NWBackwoods
Sagging is caused by springs, Shocks are for dampening.
My thoughts as well.

I like the factory Bilstein shocks. When I replaced them at 110,000 miles, they were still in good working order. I replaced them with the regular yellow monroe's and I'm not to impressed. They work good for a while but I think my fronts are already needing replacement and I'm only at 142K. I'm tempted to but the stock ones back on.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FsTFwRd
My thoughts as well.

I like the factory Bilstein shocks. When I replaced them at 110,000 miles, they were still in good working order. I replaced them with the regular yellow monroe's and I'm not to impressed. They work good for a while but I think my fronts are already needing replacement and I'm only at 142K. I'm tempted to but the stock ones back on.

Monroe Reflex Monotube.... waaaay better than the original Bilstein shocks.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:55 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

X5 on the monroes!

Old 06-22-2012, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Since we are on this subject, what would be a good shock for street/city driving? I want something smoother, I am not sure what is on there now, but they are gas charged, and I hate them. like riding on wooden wheels.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

+1000 on the Monroe Reflex shocks.

They ride great for me! I highly recommend them for anyone who does city, highway, and the occasional offroading(trail)/mudding/rock crawling trip. I like the way they feel when you go over a bump. The blaze keeps on going straight instead of trying to veer.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Make sure they're the Reflex "Monotube" and not the Reflex "LT". The LT's are soft and mushy.

Quick Reply: Shocks need replaced