General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Short Ram Air Intake Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
kevinwfuchs is on a distinguished road
Default Short Ram Air Intake Question

The other day I had gotten a Spectre Air Filter and an adapter and pipe(in pretty good shape), to replace my stock box air filter, for free from my job. Perks of working in a junk yard! But anyways as I installed it I realized that the MAF Sensor was rubbing and bouncing on the Radiator hose. I'm not sure if this will really make a difference or not but I prefer it did not rub and wear down the hose, as there is no protector guard around the hose. I can't seem to find a "mounting bracket" that would hold up the air filter. Is it east to make one? And where could I get the piece to make a bracket. With the bottom air filter box gone there is a bolt that I could mount a bracket onto to hold up the filter. The pictures below show what I got and how it is installed. Unfortunately I don't have a closer picture of the MAF Sensor and where it rubs on the hose but being a blazer forum I am sure you can tell where I'm talking about. Also once I make or find a bracket for the filter, I will be taking out the bottom of the box for my old filter.

Attached Thumbnails Short Ram Air Intake Question-img_3662.jpg   Short Ram Air Intake Question-img_3663.jpg   Short Ram Air Intake Question-img_3664.jpg  
Old 08-05-2015, 09:17 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

I'd be willing to bet you that you're getting less air to the motor with that ram air!

Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

You need to remove the lower air filter box too.
That looks to be a diy made SRI. The spectre CAI comes with a new snorkel that bolts to TB and also has a heat shield to keep away from rad hose.

Old 08-06-2015, 07:24 PM
Beginning Member

LeWhite... Why is that?

TMM217... I want to take out the lower air filter box but don't want the TB to rub on the radiator. I think one of my coworkers is going to bend some aluminum to fit around the pipe to hold it up.

Overall though when I save up some more money I would like to buy a K&N CAI and install that.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:38 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

For the most part bolt on CAI don't work with the 4.3. If you could clean out the stock box sound baffles and make a slightly bigger velocity stack that would open in front of the core support, you would miles ahead of commercial CAI. Then wrap the tubes with AC duct insulation foil, then you would have a slight improvement. As is not so good.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:53 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

From what I know about the properties of air flow in a round duct, that reducer is too close to the MAF sensor.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:33 AM
Starting Member
No false Bravada is on a distinguished road

A short ram intake is more or less like a warm air intake, drawing warm air from the engine compartment.

I changed my Alero to a Wai to avoid water intrusion when I lost my fender liner. I put the CAI tube and filter in the Bravada as an experiment, and I've only really seen an improvement at WOT. But let's face it, as much as we would all like to drive around at WOT all the time, you just don't do that lol. I'm guessing it had to do with the cone filter being made of cloth media instead of paper media like the stock type filter.

Last edited by No false Bravada; 08-07-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
Beginning Member
Default Update

Okay, I am still a little confused as to why the CAI does not really work for a 4.3 (even though I basically have a SRI). But I did get rid of the lower air filter box and got a different and longer pipe. I made a "bracket" for the pipe so that the MAF Sensor is held and stays off of the radiator hose. Here are some updated pictures.

10-78 edac... The reducer is too close to the MAF sensor? Isn't that what you are supposed to put on the MAF Sensor to attach the pipe and the filter?

Attached Thumbnails Short Ram Air Intake Question-img_3780.jpg   Short Ram Air Intake Question-img_3781.jpg  

Last edited by kevinwfuchs; 08-07-2015 at 07:42 PM.
Old 08-08-2015, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Kevin don't listen to him, everything everyone else does is wrong in his eyes

Old 08-08-2015, 06:24 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

I think it's 3 to 6 pipe diameters of straight pipe before a flow reading device. You picture looked like a reducer in front of the MAF sensor. FWIW

Quick Reply: Short Ram Air Intake Question