General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Should I buy my (maybe) totaled Blazer back?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member
dempsey is on a distinguished road
Default Should I buy my (maybe) totaled Blazer back?

So my Blazer was hit from a drunk driver and is most likely totaled. My car was parked on the street and hit the rear driver wheel with the front of her car (after bouncing of 2 of my friends cars). The damage is the tire, the 3 rims, the driver bumper end, the rear driver door, rear driver wheel well, the driver side leaf spring and maybe the axle. The hit me into the curb and damaged my two passenger side rims too.

My questions is do you think it will be worth it to buy it back and fix it up or count my losses. It is a 2002 with 99834 miles with nothing mechanically wrong (except the damage). I dont know if they will total it, but my uncle works at a chevy dealership and he had a guy look at it and said he would total it. I find out from the insurance tomorrow if it is or not.

So why do all you think? Buy it back or buy a new truck and have payments for the rest of my life?

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Should I buy my (maybe) totaled Blazer back?-2014-04-18223533_zps6ebd3bcd.jpg   Should I buy my (maybe) totaled Blazer back?-2014-04-18224257_zps0e779c4e.jpg  
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

is the worst of the damage what you took a photo of? if so, i dont see them really totaling it.
I would buy it back, low miles, damage that can be fixed if you know what you are doing.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Beginning Member

Ya they said that the axle might be tweaked because the leaf spring got bent. When I took it off the tow truck it seemed to drive straight, but it could be my chance to put a zr2 axle and widthen the stance. My uncle is a mechanic for chevy and I like to think I can work my way around it, but he had a guy at the dealership he works at look at it and he said it was totaled and he was going to fix it with all used parts. The insurance looks at it tomorrow so I will know for sure if it is totaled. Thanks though I appreciate the input.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Yup its totaled. Its a 12 year old vehicle, and thus only worth maybe $500 high book. (First we kill the lawyers then insurance exects) If you buy it back be aware that the drive shaft was probably forced into the trans breaking off the grove that the reverse snap ring seats into thus totaling the trans also. Disclaimer ' with 2wd trans'.

Last edited by LeWhite; 04-21-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by LeWhite
Yup its totaled. Its a 12 year old vehicle, and thus only worth maybe $500 high book. (First we kill the lawyers then insurance exects) If you buy it back be aware that the drive shaft was probably forced into the trans breaking off the grove that the reverse snap ring seats into thus totaling the trans also. Disclaimer ' with 2wd trans'.
worth 500? I dont know about that, my 94 with 210k miles got totaled which was rusty as all hell pulled a check from insurance that was 1250.
The reason they totaled it was because the frame was bent.

must vary from state to state

Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Dempsey, if the frame is not bent and the trans not ruined (see post above) , I would buy it back and use salvage parts and/ or new Chevy parts from your sources to repair it cheaply. Do you have a car you can use during the restoration? You could use this opportunity to upgrade the Blazer as you have already suggested.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Man that sucks!! You gotta buy it back you have a winch mount and skids to put on it lol! If you were closer I would make you a stupid deal on my axle and wheels but I think shipping might get expensive on that. It looks like it took the hit sideways so hopefully the trans is ok.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member

Ya the tranny seemed fine when taking off the you're truck. After that I went from reverse to forward a bunch of timeS but it didn't seem like there was much vibration in the drive line, but it never left 1st gear and I didn't really look at it too closely. I should hear back from the insurance company soon... Let's how for the best

Old 04-22-2014, 06:00 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Looking at the pics I wouldn't worry about any trans or t-case damage. There's a good bit a slip in the driveshaft yoke before it bottoms out... the rear axle / driveshaft would have to of moved forward a ton.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Best of luck and blessings to your misfortune. Beware , insurance companys are not in business to make YOU whole. Ask to see the book and insist on more.

Quick Reply: Should I buy my (maybe) totaled Blazer back?