General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

sitting over a year

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
bsbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default sitting over a year

but i will take my 02 blazer 4wd to chevy next few weeks-however they said it would be about 1000 dollars to change all the fluids-its been sitting after i ran it through a puddle and it started dying on me every coule days,i changed the fuel pump but it didnt help-so hopefully they will figure it out-is it best to take it to chevy or should i take a chence,most shops quoted me about the same price

Old 10-18-2012, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Puncuation please!! Its a bit hard to follow but I think a grand is stupid high for changing fluids. If I'm reading it correctly you are saying the truck was parked after running through a puddle and starting to run funny and has been sitting for a year now? How big was the puddle? Sounds to me like you sucked some water up in the intake and thats whats making it run bad. Could be something simple like you MAF sensor got damaged ( I did this to my old land rover while crossing a pond) or you may have sucked water into the cylinders which may have left the motor needing a rebuild if the water caused the cylinder walls to rust from sitting. It could be a lot of things! Also if the truck has been sitting for a year and didn't have gas in the tank chances are that may have rusted as well and will cause you some problems with clogged fuel filters and such. Perhaps if you give some more detail on what its doing when its dying and some of the associated symptons we could be more help

Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah never go to dealerships. i cant believe how big of a rip off those places are. we get cars in my work sometimes that come there for a second opinion cause dealerships quoted them like $2000 for like 15 things wrong. and there is barely anything wrong with the car, maybe 1-2 things

Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

the puddle incident was last year,probably a foot deep at 45 mph,it ran after that for a few days at a time and then would stall,usually at a stop light.did this for a few months ,sometimes id have to get it towed home,as soon as the driver would sit it down,id try and it would start.i changed the fuel pump cleaned out the tank changed the filter and it seemed to help for a few days then back to intermitten stalling.so i havnt had $$$ to address this for the past year so its been sittin in the driveway,in a few weeks ill have some money to get it looked at,maybe 1200 dollars or so-but who should i trust to be honest???should i consider changing fuel pressure regulator???by the way the whole time no check engine lights came on!

Old 10-19-2012, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Save yourself some money and do some reading about fuel system diagnosis on here and tackle it yourself. Its really easy to a "pressure and leakdown test" on your fuel system and is explained a million times on this forum. Let us know the results from that and we can try to help you out further. Theres really no point in throwing away good hard earned mnoney on something you can do yourself. We are all willing to help out in any way that we can so I say take advantage of us!

Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Beginning Member

so after sitting for a year w 90,000 miles what fluids need changed??differentials,trans,oil,gas etc??is what ive been told.i live in the az desert and there are hundreds of forest roads and 4wd trails and washes its torture to b on the bus-

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

IMO: All of them,oil & lube are the easiest for any quicklube to do,but they never address the front or rear axle and never deal with transfer cases! A full cooling system check is in order as well! As well as a transmission fluid change-there are also test strips now availiable to determine the copper content of the brake fluid,that may need to be flushed as well! Consider that you will have to undergo a full inspection of brake lines/hoses/sensors/calipers/rear hardware etc. A vehicle deteriorates much more rapidly when not being used,contrary to popular belief,even in museum climates! Look your unit over very carefully!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I agree with step,but for now change the oil,and try to get it running. No point in doing everything until its actually running to where its dependable. Dont blow a grand. Think of it this way :

Someone is willing to pay you 1,000.00 to read and learn some things and a little labor. Sounds good dont it?