General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Sleeping/Camping in a Blazer??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member
trailblazr81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sleeping/Camping in a Blazer??

Im thinking of getting a Blazer/Jimmy 4 door 4x4 for a camping rig. Was gonna use my Grand Cherokee but its not long enough. Anyone know if with the back seats folded down is there enough room to lay down in a small Blazer? Im about 6'1" so would probly want a couple more inches than that to be safe. In my Jeep I had to put the front seats all the waty forward and remove the bottom portion of the back seats to make it work. My bro had a first gen Explorer and it was long enough.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:33 PM
greatwhite is on a distinguished road

I have the 99 Jimmy and I'm 6 ft. I sleep in it someyimes. However I believe it is the same length as the Grand Cherokee.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member

My 1996 Grand Cherokee was 177 inches, a Blazer is 181 inches, and a first gen Explorer is 184 inches long. Another issue with the Jeep was with the back seats. The bottom portion tilted forward and the the back folded down. So for a flat surface I had to remove the bottom part, then slide the front seat forward to have enough room. With the first gen Explorer you drop the back of the seat down and you have a flat surface and there was enough room to lay n sleep.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

The Blazer is great for camping...as long as your towing a 18' trailer behind it.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by dobyken
The Blazer is great for camping...as long as your towing a 18' trailer behind it.
Dont want to tow a trailer. I also plan on some camping trips out in the middle of no where down some dirt trails n such.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Beginning Member
harrymonkeyboy is on a distinguished road

you can sleep in the back, with the back seats down you have about 6'1'' to the seats but the annoying part is the back head rests they could be cumbersome im not sure if they can be removed or not, i hope you have an air mattress cause the D-ring tie downs in the back just seem to find you spine (i got drunk and slept back there a few years ago)

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i use mine for camping if i dont wanna setup a tent. im 6'3.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
CraigSnedeker will become famous soon enoughCraigSnedeker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by trailblazr81
Im thinking of getting a Blazer/Jimmy 4 door 4x4 for a camping rig. Was gonna use my Grand Cherokee but its not long enough. Anyone know if with the back seats folded down is there enough room to lay down in a small Blazer? Im about 6'1" so would probly want a couple more inches than that to be safe. In my Jeep I had to put the front seats all the waty forward and remove the bottom portion of the back seats to make it work. My bro had a first gen Explorer and it was long enough.
Personally I think you can fit a small mattress in the back of a Blazer.. but I'm not sure if it would be to long. I've always thought what it was like to sleep in one...

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i dont remember having any issues. my first truck was a 83 s10 and im 6'0. that folded down back seat came in handy alot when i was 18

Old 07-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by harrymonkeyboy
you can sleep in the back, with the back seats down you have about 6'1'' to the seats but the annoying part is the back head rests they could be cumbersome im not sure if they can be removed or not, i hope you have an air mattress cause the D-ring tie downs in the back just seem to find you spine (i got drunk and slept back there a few years ago)
Im gonna use a air mattress or cot with sleeping bag.

Quick Reply: Sleeping/Camping in a Blazer??