General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

snow

Old 12-06-2009, 10:12 PM
Beginning Member
1998 red blazer is on a distinguished road
Default snow

Hey guys, I went skiing in West Va over the weekend and we got about 8 inches of snow. Everyone who drove up in cars were all stuck. The cars were worthless. There were about 10 vehicles staying in the house and 4 (all SUVs and 1 ranger) of them made it up the driveway, the rest parked on the bottom and walked up.

Basically writing this, saying that the Blazer's 4x4 system has really impressed me. I bought the truck in 2006 and have been driving in winter's since and never got stuck and always stay in control.

Do you think all SUVs are that good in the snow? Or what makes the Blazer handle so well in slick conditions?

Attached Thumbnails snow-blazer-snow-.jpg  
Old 12-06-2009, 11:51 PM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

The bowtie on the front. Cool pics.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:46 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Pretty much any 4x4 is going to be good in the snow. It's just the nature of the system.
I haven't had my Blazer through the dead of winter yet so I can't really vouch for how good or not good it is. I hear good things though.
It's not only the truck that will keep you unstuck though. The 4x4 definitely helps but you have to factor in your tires (winter or all season?). I'm betting that Ranger was 2WD and those other SUVs were too.

Last edited by Sisk; 12-07-2009 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

My bravada handles EXCELLENT in the snow (compared to my 240sx I had before the truck)

It actually handled so well it spurred the purchase of another Bravada but its a newer design 98 for my fiance, I took her rims and so-so tires and threw my 97 wheels on it with cooper dicoverer tires, and put the 98 wheels on mine with 30x9.5 pathifinder/bfg *****.

Just in time too we in the north chicagoland areas are under the scope of a pretty hefty first snow episode (5-10" in the forecast)

Old 12-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Beginning Member

Yea, I only have all season tires and was still very impressed with the traction. Last year I towed a mini cooper out of a ditch effortlessly in the snow. But then again, this car was stuck and I tried to pull it out and couldn't, but a silverado with chains was able to, but struggle, so I didnt feel too bad.

The SUVs did make it up and were 4 wheel drive, the truck was 2wd and made it up once, before the snow, not after. It was the front wheel drive cars that never made it up.

Taba, do you have the Awd or 4x4 and which one would work better?

Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 1998 red blazer
Taba, do you have the Awd or 4x4 and which one would work better?
I have the SmarTrak AWD system in both Bravadas, I would have to say the downside to the AWD is the gas mileage. Some of these guys on this forum are getting awesome mileage compared to either of my Bravadas which hover at around 15-17mpg.

In a mechanics point of view the AWD system can be somewhat more challenging when it comes to maintaining it.

in my opinion it would be a personal preference really.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member

yea true. I wonder which one would get better traction in the long run. Also, like a honda crv or the chevy equinox with their awd. do they fair as well as 4x4 with the 2 speed transfer case?

Attached Thumbnails snow-blazer-snow-2.jpg  
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Starting Member

hmm, i would honestly have to say i have no idea really, my mother in law has a navigator (push button 4x4)and i used to work with subarus, and thats the only thing i have to gauge, subarus for obvious reasons are in my honest opinion damn good AWD vehicles...the navigator, well its a beast and TOO big for my tastes...but does handle well in inclement weather

when it comes to AWD / 4x4 as long as you have a GOOD set of rubbers you should be ok in many conditions... for example low profile summer directional tires in snow tend not to be the best regardless if you have AWD or a 4x4. I have driven plenty of Subarus with summertime tires in the snow and they handled like poo in all ways haha

Old 12-11-2009, 11:22 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I have a set of master craft courser c t's and on tuseday night wensday we got 14in of snow and it did just fine. I hade snow over the hood a couple of times and kept moving.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

We had 3 feet of snow last year (EDIT: in places! :-) ), and I drove 120 miles in the blizzard, but I never had to put on my chains. Just kept her in 4 and stayed under 55.

Only thing is this year my baby has balled shoes. so Im afraid I may havta bust em out! Its kinda funny what kinda situations you drive right through, just knowing that you have chains in the back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: snow