General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Snow Plowing Blazer style. How good are they

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 01:25 AM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default Snow Plowing Blazer style. How good are they

I know summer is just coming around but looking ahead to the next winter. I missed out on the huge storms in NS this year and was thinking that if I had a truck come next winter that I will see about hooking up with some people I know that do plowing of parking lots during the winter and make some extra money on the side as we tend to get a number of storms through the winter.

Anyways, I was wondering, how great would a 95 Blazer handle a large plow on the front end. Most have regular pickups to handle the heavy plows so not sure if my truck would handle it with out having the suspension upgraded.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

With a good set of tires you would be fine, the weight on our trucks is distributed nicely...throw a few 50lb bags of sand/salt in the back and put it in 4low. My truck will crawl through some deep snow in 4low just letting my foot off the brakes, and that was with 50% BFG A/T 235's.

Old 05-17-2009, 08:32 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Carter - I've seen a few Blazers here in town that do it, so I assume they're alright for plowing.
Swain - any idea about suspension upgrades? would it be needed to support the weight of the plow?

Old 05-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road

I tried to find some images last night with a Blazer running a plow on the front but no luck.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends how heavy the plow is, I would measure the ride height from the fenders on flat ground without the plow. Then after mounting the plow measure again and if its out by much adjust the torsion bars slightly to regain the factory ride height. If the plow was coming on and off I wouldn't worry about it but if it were staying on for the winter I would adjust it up to stock height then back down in the spring when you take it off.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:26 AM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

they can handle a plow i used to use one on a 1st gen for a plow service I was working in the winter all the time just be mindful you prolly shouldn't put anything bigger than a 7 foot blade on and if you can get a blade that is polycarbonate like a snow way it weighs much less than a steel Fischer, or Western

Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

i service trucks and Meyer and Western plows, they can definatly handle a 6" Steel blade or a 7" Polyplow, however the fitment kits are not easy to get, but they are available thru Meyer, However, I'm going to put a warning out there, something i see on my company's plow trucks alot which are 3/4 ton or larger, your front end and even frame is going to take one hell of a beating, every year in the spring or after a few good storms we are usually replacing tie rod ends, ball joints, drag links and other related parts , also as a plow truck you are going suck alot of salt and end up with alot of premature rusting of the frame and ultimatly shorten the life of your truck, so you may want to take that into conderation before you drop 3-4 grand on a snow plow.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Beginning Member
ben512v is on a distinguished road

i have a 85 k 10 with a meyers 7 1/2 foot blade and its a e 47 and the blazer has 35" tires and a 4" body lift....... it is an Army tank.............ben512v

Old 08-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Lobstah is on a distinguished road

I'll be buying a plow most likely next week. I've read a lot of plow forums, and talked to a few dealers, and I've decided to go with the Snowdogg plow for a variety of reasons. Stainless Steel blade, but still fairly lightweight, and I have a dealer locally that gave me a great price including install.

Jim

Old 08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

A hockey coach of mine had a 1st Gen that he put Zamboni tires on, damn thing would go through anything.

The biggest issue with ANY truck with a plow as Biohazed said, the front end takes a real **** kicking. I don't know if I'd push my luck with putting a plow on a Blazer, the S-series trucks are known to be hard on front end parts without the added strain of the plow. The number of plow jobs you'll be doing... will it pay for the plow and the new front end parts?

Quick Reply: Snow Plowing Blazer style. How good are they