General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Some quick questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Beginning Member
Jakester91119 is on a distinguished road
Default Some quick questions

So i have been thinking lately since my blazer only gets an average of about 13 mpg if there is anyway to put another gas tank in the blazer some where. I was thinking about putting it where the spare tire is since it is a 4 door its the tire is underneath anyways. Is it even possible to do?

Then my other question is since i wouldn't have a place to put my spare tire is it possible to make like a tire rack like on the 2 door models or would i be better off putting it on my roof rack?

Thanks to everybody that responds

Old 06-25-2009, 02:04 AM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

I had this idea about a year ago but it turned into a real pain when it came to figuring out a selector switch and re-routing and splitting high pressure fuel lines... getting the gas gauge to work with each tank, etc... I think it would be easier to have a larger custom built gas tank made.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Beginning Member
Jakester91119 is on a distinguished road

Ok. I was thinking about having a fuel pump to just move the gas back into the stock tank from the new one and not even having the new one be like a usuable tank just like a extra thing and then i was just thinking about putting the new tank with its own fuel gauge in the back. But i dont know how you would be able to fill it ha

Old 06-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Beginning Member
TheRealKoop is on a distinguished road

it would be easy enough. You could run a fuel cell style tank that is used on many performance cars, and an inline pump. You you could y into the rubber factory fuel lines, and run a one way check valve on both systems. You would have to run a switch to enable the factory fuel pump relay(bypassing the factory system), and another to run the inline pump.

I dont know if thats the easiest way to do it, but thats how i would.

I guess you could run the inline pump to the factory tank, and when you run it, it would fill the factory tank up with the fuel from the secondary tank. On second thought i like this idea better lol. all you would have to do is mount the tank and pump, and drill a hole in the top of the factory gas tank, and run wiring for the pump on a switch.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Beginning Member
TheRealKoop is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jakester91119
Ok. I was thinking about having a fuel pump to just move the gas back into the stock tank from the new one and not even having the new one be like a usuable tank just like a extra thing and then i was just thinking about putting the new tank with its own fuel gauge in the back. But i dont know how you would be able to fill it ha
ah, didnt read this but thats what i was saying. just use your factory tank to like 1/4 tank, and then fill it with the secondary. Once you empty the secondary, fill it. you dont really need a gauge since its not actually fueling from that tank.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Beginning Member
MaineBlazing88 is on a distinguished road
Default Zr2 q?

ok hi everyone my name is josh and im from maine! woot woot lol anyways. umm i just bought a blazer like 3 months ago and everywhere i go i get in to a fight about it! the guy i bought it from said it was a ZR2 so i call it that a 1998 ZR2 blazer but then i get people that are like it dosnt have the marking! so my Q? for u all is are all ZR2 marked or did they only start doing that at a later time?

Old 06-25-2009, 02:45 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'd make your own thread if I were you instead of hijacking, it's not appreciated by many people lol... just a pointer.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Beginning Member
MaineBlazing88 is on a distinguished road

yea i know sry im still trying to get this sight down lol sry all!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:22 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

Just remember that any work you do yourself on the fuel system is THE FUEL SYSTEM, if you MESS UP you might just BLOW UP one day. I would check your local mechanic (or get a recommendation to one) about replacing the existing tank with a larger custom one. He might be able to help out with that terrible mpg too!

Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I had an '83 1/2 ton that had dual tanks from the factory with a switch to swap from one tank to the other. Might be worth a trip to your local junk yard to see how they were set up and maybe get some parts. Keep in mind, this was a carb'ed engine and thus had the fuel pump mounted on the engine.

I sure miss having two twenty gallon tanks available to me.