General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Spare Tire Rack

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:52 PM
xjoffroadboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spare Tire Rack

I have a 95 four door blazer that is mostly stock. I have seen rear mounted spare tire holders on two-doors but never on a four door. Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a rear mount swing-style spare tire mount on a four door? Also, if you've done it, pictures would be great. Thanks!

Old 10-05-2009, 03:14 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

I have always wanted to do that, so i did some research on it. You could do it... but you would have to beef up the rear panel and the tailgate to be able to with stand the extra weight that would be put on it. I think that it would just be easier to put a safari rack on the roof... and it would look cooler, at least in my opinion.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
Drifter666 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would imagine it would be possible, just go to the junk yard and try to get everything off of a 2door model, one thing though is mke sure you put some bracing because you dont wanna mess up your rear quarter, that is what i would do, make sure the tailgate will fit tho before antything

Old 10-05-2009, 03:25 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

It is possible. I think someone on the forum did it a while ago. But as mentioned you will have to beef up your rear quarter panel since the spare tire adds a lot of extra weight, and none of the 4 doors were built with the extra braces to hold it. I'm not sure how each it is, but you're looking at making some custom brackets and braces...so it would be good to get someone thats good at metalwork and welding if you plan on doing it.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
It is possible. I think someone on the forum did it a while ago. But as mentioned you will have to beef up your rear quarter panel since the spare tire adds a lot of extra weight, and none of the 4 doors were built with the extra braces to hold it. I'm not sure how each it is, but you're looking at making some custom brackets and braces...so it would be good to get someone thats good at metalwork and welding if you plan on doing it.
Never say never, some of the kiwis have factory installed tire carriers on the 4 door model

Old 10-05-2009, 05:49 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The_Beast
Never say never, some of the kiwis have factory installed tire carriers on the 4 door model
Good point...I forgot about the overseas Blazers. Actually the guy from Bulgaria has one on his 92 or 93...I can't remember his name though.
Thanks for pointing that out though .

Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

i wouldnt recommend it. They look cool but would require you to cut the inside of the rear quarter and weld in a big thick metal plate. Then drill holes through it and weld nuts onto it. Even the ones that came with this as an option arent strong enough which is why almost every quarter panel you see is dented in. I have one on my 2dr and would like to remove it but dont have another option for the spare. It will also but a lot of weight on the tailgate which will most likely make your window rattle and squeek.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sisk
Good point...I forgot about the overseas Blazers. Actually the guy from Bulgaria has one on his 92 or 93...I can't remember his name though.
Thanks for pointing that out though .
No problem

Originally Posted by NVANZEE
i wouldnt recommend it. They look cool but would require you to cut the inside of the rear quarter and weld in a big thick metal plate. Then drill holes through it and weld nuts onto it. Even the ones that came with this as an option arent strong enough which is why almost every quarter panel you see is dented in. I have one on my 2dr and would like to remove it but dont have another option for the spare. It will also but a lot of weight on the tailgate which will most likely make your window rattle and squeek.
So that's why my windows squeek, I haven't been able to figure it out, but it seems to be on the driver side

Old 10-05-2009, 09:44 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The_Beast
No problem

So that's why my windows squeek, I haven't been able to figure it out, but it seems to be on the driver side
it would only be the back window. It rattles on the latch. It can be adjusted slightly.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 PM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...good to know. I was going to do this, but will probably keep away now. I guess I can just toss my spare on the roof and strap it down. Although that might hurt my MPG's on the highway.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Rack