General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Spray gun for oil - Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member
Sonj is on a distinguished road
Default Spray gun for oil - Suggestions

Hey all,

So recently my buddies and I have been keeping all the oil from oil changes in 50 gallon drums. Currently we have 1 full drum working on a second.

What we want to do though is winterize our vehicles by spraying the underside lightly with oil. Western NY roads are horrible with the amount of salt used and we think this will help. If it goes well then we could add to our list of services to friends and family.

We need help however. Although we are all mechanically inclined none of us have done much with spray guns. We have asked around and have been told that detail guns will work but they need to get replaced every year or so depending on use because the oil eats away at the seals in them.

Would anyone have any suggestions on spray guns we could use that would last a bit longer or that we would have the best control of spraying? Or is there a spray gun meant specifically for oil purposes?

Thanks guys!

Old 09-12-2012, 01:28 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Oil would eat away at the seals inside of the spray gun? If lacquer thinner and lacquer based paints do not eat away at the seals, I do not think that motor oil will.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member
Sonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Oil would eat away at the seals inside of the spray gun? If lacquer thinner and lacquer based paints do not eat away at the seals, I do not think that motor oil will.

Im more then likely wrong on the eating away at the seals part, but the few people we referenced did state they need to get them replaced more frequently when spraying oil.

I guess it could gum up then?

Old 09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

You could always get a cheap one, and try cleaning it after each use with some paint thinner, as it works with oil based paint, I would assume that if you ran some through the gun for about 5 minutes it would act the same to engine oil, break it down and clean it out.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:40 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Get a pump up compressed air sprayer. You can get the ones for lawn chemicals etc & smaller ones without a wand.
Look at the 1st 3 or 4 pics on this page, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Pro+P...w=1196&bih=544

Old 09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottidog
Get a pump up compressed air sprayer. You can get the ones for lawn chemicals etc & smaller ones without a wand.
Look at the 1st 3 or 4 pics on this page, you'll see what I mean.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Pro+P...w=1196&bih=544
Good call!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:02 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

also dont let the epa catch ya

Old 09-27-2012, 08:38 PM
Starting Member
Jase1979 is on a distinguished road

Don't get the oil on your rubber parts either, the oil will swell up shock boots, body mounts, door rubbers etc. personally I would not use oil, I found Fluid Film to be a good undercoating that doesn't cause damage and does the job intended

Old 09-27-2012, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Fluid Film is great stuff. A friend that buts it by the gallon swears by it & he saud that when applied to a frame etc it'll actually darken the rust over some time & doesn't allow it to oxidize any more.