General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Started undercoating my truck today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Started undercoating my truck today!

I ordered a gallon of POR-15 off their website a week ago and it came in yesterday, so today I went nuts with a wire brush and a paint scraper to remove any loose paint/rust/undercoating that was on the frame or whatnot underneath my truck. I was suprised at how well the POR-15 spread on and how a little went a very long way, in a few hours I had the passenger half of the frame pretty much done, both passenger wheel wells, front and rear suspension components etc. coated. I am absolutely amazed at how good it looks now and if it holds up as good as it claims to then this was weeeeeell worth the money. A gallon should be enough to do the whole truck with a couple good coats, and I have some rubberized coating to brush on over any part that will see sunlight so within the next four days I should be able to get the whole thing done

Tomorrow I will jack her up and take all the wheels off and snap some pics to show you the difference between sides, and put some more details as to what I've been doing to my truck lately. I think I will take both the fenders and the bumpers off to really rustproof her for years to come. Anyone else who has used POR-15 chime in I'd love to hear your opinion of it, and watch out if you decide to use it, it stains the skin real good lol.

SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Started undercoating my truck today!

Something to keep in mind is that they recommend a top coat. POR-15 doesn't hold up too well to the UV.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:22 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

I plan on doing that sometime soon. Por-15 and I already have some 3m Undercoating spray. My underbody is in pretty good condition, still rusty though. I hate it. Maybe you could make a how-to if there isn't already one.

Old 04-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Starting Member

Yeah I'm going to go over the frame, hitch, and wheel wells in a rubberized undercoating as well. The rest should be good right? I will take pics tomorrow as I am doing the drivers side, I will also get pics of all the materials you will need and one thing I can say for sure if you want to do a good job, buy lots of brushes lol. My truck wasn't so bad all I needed to remove the rust was a wirebrush and a flat paint scraper with a little elbow grease. I could make a little How-To if anyone is interested I've never done one before but this would be an easy one to make.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:16 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds good, you should make up a how-to. I am definately looking forward to seeing pictures.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea I have a compressor and a wire wheel on a grinder. Works wonders. Before I had the compressor I used my 18volt drill. Yeah just post up lots of pics and some easy instructions shouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM
Starting Member

I also have a drill with a wire wheel but haven't used it yet, I think I will use it on the rear end and my hitch though.

Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought about doing the same thing to my Blazer but with Herculiner. Any suggestions as far as which is better Herculiner or POR-15. Just looking for some opinions.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:24 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

How long should I plan on this taking me to do. I am going to be doing this before I move to NY. I don't want my pride and joy to rust!

Old 04-28-2008, 08:01 PM
Starting Member

From what I've read POR-15 is about the best you can get it's pretty pricey but I think it's well worth it. As for how long it will take, I'm probably going to do it over a span of 3-4 days, working a few hours at a time. One day for each side of the frame, 2 wheel wells, front and rear susp., one day underneath the truck, and then probably under the fenders, core support and such. Depending on how quick you work and the shape of your vehicle it could take more or less time, but I'm on an extended vacation so I am in no hurry.

And remember to put something over it whether it be rubberized coating or rustoleom(sp?) of some sort on any areas that see sunlight. POR-15 doesn't like the sun and needs to be covered, I plan on doing my frame, hitch, and wheel wells in POR-15 then a rubberized coating I bought at a local auto store.

Quick Reply: Started undercoating my truck today!