General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

suggestions on brand of items....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default suggestions on brand of items....

So.....I think I am ready to make some more big purchases. I have narrowed it down to what I want to get but I am just curious what you all think on what brands to get. First on the list is a winch, I dont really think I need to be spending 500+ bucks on something if I can find a good product for less money so any suggestions on What I should get. Next is the body lift and the gap gaurds. I also need a reprogrammer since I am rolling 33's. I was thinking about also getting 6 round lights, 2 for the bumper and 4 for the custom roof rack that I am almost done making. I originally was thinking 6" lights but it almost seems like that would be overkill. Last on the list for now is the high output alternator. i found one on ebay that looks like it would do great but thought I would just get your opinions on it before I pull trigger on the purchase. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/S10-B...Q5fAccessories

Old 09-15-2010, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Alt seems legit, I was expecting a 20 dollar alt lmao. usually money=quality, not always the case though.

What's your gearing? 3.73? I'd look at re-gearing in the future to something like 4.11, just to take some stress off your tranny.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:39 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oktain
usually money=quality, not always the case though.
it does when you're looking @ winches.

i'm not saying you need to buy that $1000 Superwinch, but the $300, 9000lb winch is definately gonna show a weakness when it counts the most. i know from experience, unfortunately.

but do yourself a favor......regardless of which winch you buy, get yourself a pulley block too. it'll save the strain on your winch. but again, buy a quality one.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

How much are Warn winches? I have one on my ATV and it's given me Zero trouble. Save my *** a few times too. Now I know why rock crawlers use Winches lol, had a scary experience on a steep incline, stuck on a boulder on my ATV. Moral is, don't chince out on something that could be so vital.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:22 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by oktain
How much are Warn winches? I have one on my ATV and it's given me Zero trouble. Save my *** a few times too. Now I know why rock crawlers use Winches lol, had a scary experience on a steep incline, stuck on a boulder on my ATV. Moral is, don't chince out on something that could be so vital.

Pat, i like you, so i'm gonna put this as nicely as possible.......................

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
is there an echo in here, here, here, here?

that's twice tonight brother.

and to answer your question Pat, Warn's cost the same as Superwich's. (same ball park for each of their lines)

Old 09-16-2010, 02:17 AM
R2P
Starting Member
R2P is on a distinguished road

As for the reprogrammer, I'd go with a full fledge pcm tune through wait4me or pcmforless. Then you can get your speedo calibrated and gain some powah/mileage at the same time.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Warn is the industry leader, although everyone who doesn't have a winch will say theirs does just fine. A good, reasonably priced winch is Smittybilt. No, it is not a Warn but you will pay half the price. For occassional use you should do ok with one. If you are wheeling every weekend and using a winch quite often, get a Warn.

BDS and Performance Accessories both make complete kits (including bumper brackets) for our vehicles and they will run you $200-250. You can buy much cheaper from ebay, though some of them do not come with the bumper brackets. If can fab your own brackets, save some bucks and go the ebay route. DO NOT USE HOCKEY PUCKS!!!

The only place I've seen gap guards are from Synergy Offroad, though I haven't looked around for them. I'm sure someone else supplies them.

As has been stated, a PCM tune is the best bang for the buck. However, you will be without your vehicle as you have to send the 'puter in and wait for it to come back. The handheld programmers are more convienent and will allow you to tweak a few more things than just tire size. Kind of a toss up on this one for me between a really great tune and convienence.

Offroad lights, kinda of depends on your budget. You can get 6" lights from Autozone for around $40 a pair...or you can get some serious lights from KC for about $200 each. Yes, there is a difference that you will notice.

As for the alt, looks like a decent price for an amped up AD244. If you can get a stock AD244 for half the price I'd go that route.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the input guys....I guess I should get the warn winch, I really wont be wheeling to often but if you guys think that off brand winches are a no no then I will trust your thoughts. So what poundage should i get, the 9 - 10 thousand pound range?

@oktain I am planning on regearing and was actually planning on going to like a 4.56. What do you guys think?

@ajbert..... So you think I should just buy the bolts and spacers seperatly if i have the ability to fab up my own bumper brackets huh? Well I could easily make my own brackets so I guess that is what I will do. I always figured there was more to the kits than just bumper brackets, spacers and bolts. Oh and by the way Hockey pucks really????LOL Who in the hell would do that when the spacers are pretty cheap....http://www.amazon.com/Performance-Ac.../dp/B000FQ0A2C

Last edited by dimone545; 09-16-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by dimone545
thanks for all the input guys....I guess I should get the warn winch, I really wont be wheeling to often but if you guys think that off brand winches are a no no then I will trust your thoughts. So what poundage should i get, the 9 - 10 thousand pound range?

that would be fine.

just be sure to get a pulley block too. (it'll save the strain & wear 'n tear on your winch)

Old 09-17-2010, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Ummm...just thought about something you failed to mention.

How do you plan on mounting a winch? From what I know what is available, Warn Trans4mer, custom bumper or 2" receiver up front are about the only options. That is something to think about. And an 8,000lb winch is more than enough for the size of these vehicles.

Quick Reply: suggestions on brand of items....