General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

TBI to CPI swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:24 PM
rcravincase is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TBI to CPI swap

well, my 95 was rear ended the other day, which bent the frame and insurance has totalled it. my fiance has a 90 blazer, and just about every seal on the engine and trans are leaking. im considering buying my truck back as the trans is new and has a warranty, and i just did the heads on the motor, and swapping them into her truck. i know the big things like the mounts should bolt together, correct? i dont think the wiring harness would be hard to remove. i would try to run the rad from the 95 as it has the oil cooler. the only other thing would be gauges. does the 90 use a cable or vss? swapping the cluster is out of question, and aftermarket gauges are a possibility, but not a nessecity. just need speedo and fuel really. is it easily done, or should i just sell my engine and trans?

Old 02-26-2011, 05:41 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I have an 89 GMC Jimmy and my speedometer is electronic. (No Cable) I recently pulled my dash cluster to replaced the oil pressure gauge. Hope this helps. I believe you would want the whole engine wiring harness and the ECU. Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:42 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

this seems to be the idea of the week!

seriously, you're like the 3rd member in the last little while that has the same question regarding a 2nd gen to 1st gen swap.

not knockin' you or anything, but take a read through THIS thread, and you'll see it ain't as straight forward as you'd think.

personally, i would tackle what you want to do. you just need to go @ it a little differently.

gut the driveline from your truck, but leave the wiring harness. depending on when in '95 your truck was made, (read that link above, you'll see why). you might be able to use the computer, but i don't know if they messed with the plugs on it or not. there were 3 different OBD systems used in the '95, so when it was built is very important.

find yourself a '92 to '94 S-series W-code truck (S10/S15, Blazer/Jimmy) and take the cluster, computer, and the complete wiring harness. since your engine is the same as what was offered in the 1st gen trucks (in the years i listed) everything will work on it. but like i said, depending on your truck, you may not be able to use any of the electrical stuff.

not a difficult task to do the swap. i convered my '84 over to a '93 W-code driveline, wiring harness & dash in a weekend & running Sunday by dinner.

with what you've listed as having fixed/done to your truck, it's definately worth buying back to salvage the parts & do the swap.

GL & be sure to keep us updated.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:29 AM

hm, i was hoping it would be a little easier. with the condition my fiance's blazer is in, i dont think the time and effort would be worth it. i would be better off selling it for parts, if i do buy it back.

while im in here, what year compatability does my drivetrain have? it has a post cat 02 and a crank sensor, so im sure its obd2 compliant. would that work 93-97? i have seent he bellhousing on the trans for 98 up is different, so im assuming the trans works for the same years?

Old 02-26-2011, 11:49 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

engine wise, you're stuck with what i listed already. don't be so sure it's OBDII, just because you have the O2's & crank sensor. (where is your computer located?) aside from the electronics inside the trans, they will fit up to the '97 model, but probably would have computer issues.

considering all that you've doner to your rig, i'd by it back regardless if you're gonna swap it to your fiance's '90 or not.

you never know...........you may just find a clean truck that's just dying for a transplant.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:34 PM

the ecm is on the coolant over flow. my brother has a 96 and was interested in my edelbrock headers. i would buy it back and part it out, but only if the buy back is reasonable