General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Things your Blazer does to let you know its winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 AM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road
Default Things your Blazer does to let you know it's winter?

Parking brake pedal stuck on me today due to the cold. Now I got to find out where it needs to be lubed.

Last edited by CAB; 11-25-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:40 PM
Starting Member
Jakeduece is on a distinguished road

My engine knocks for a few mins until it warms up, but only when it's below 40 degrees outside. Never did look into it, but never gave me trouble any other time of year. Still runs like new!

Old 11-24-2013, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Refuses to keep my feet warm due to not switching over to floor heat (not temp. related, just only needed when it starts getting cold)

Old 11-24-2013, 04:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Jakeduece
My engine knocks for a few mins until it warms up, but only when it's below 40 degrees outside. Never did look into it, but never gave me trouble any other time of year. Still runs like new!
Perfect description of piston slap. Very common on 4.3L & 5.3L engines. It's caused by a lack of lubrication on the lower cylinder walls and piston skirts. After sitting for several hours, (overnight), the oil runs off of the cylinder wall so it's dry on a cold start. What you're hearing is the piston centering itself in the cylinder for the first few degrees of crankshaft rotation, when the piston is at BDC. A steady diet of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 will quiet it down, IF the damage is not excessive. Change it every 3K miles and eventually you'll notice a difference.

My 98 had 30K miles when I bought it, and it knocked pretty good cold. Switched to Mobil 1 and it went away around 40K miles. Hasn't done it since and it has 220K miles now.

Old 11-24-2013, 05:29 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

It makes my wife bitch because it doesn't have heated seats
Fortunately the heater will just about chase you out on the coldest of days

Old 11-24-2013, 06:37 PM
CAB
Starting Member
CAB is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nunya
Refuses to keep my feet warm due to not switching over to floor heat (not temp. related, just only needed when it starts getting cold)
Mine too. My wife asked me today why we took the Blazer. Her feet got cold. Good thing is it blows out the defrost and vents.

Old 11-24-2013, 06:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by nunya
Problem with one of the vacuum actuators, (or doors), on the left end of the heater case. Above and to the right of the gas pedal. Both actuators have 2 vacuum lines, and both of them are dual position actuators. You can see both actuators, and the linkage, without any disassembly. Somebody isn't playing nice with the others

Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Perfect description of piston slap. Very common on 4.3L & 5.3L engines. It's caused by a lack of lubrication on the lower cylinder walls and piston skirts. After sitting for several hours, (overnight), the oil runs off of the cylinder wall so it's dry on a cold start. What you're hearing is the piston centering itself in the cylinder for the first few degrees of crankshaft rotation, when the piston is at BDC. A steady diet of Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W30 will quiet it down, IF the damage is not excessive. Change it every 3K miles and eventually you'll notice a difference.

My 98 had 30K miles when I bought it, and it knocked pretty good cold. Switched to Mobil 1 and it went away around 40K miles. Hasn't done it since and it has 220K miles now.
Helped with the jimmy, i only use mobil 1 full synthetic, had a knock for a short time when super cold when we first got it, now, not anymore.

But to add to this, mine always alerts me by having something go wrong when its cold out... Will be fine all summer long, but once it starts to get cold.... must know i dont have a garage.

Last edited by richphotos; 11-24-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Problem with one of the vacuum actuators, (or doors), on the left end of the heater case. Above and to the right of the gas pedal. Both actuators have 2 vacuum lines, and both of them are dual position actuators. You can see both actuators, and the linkage, without any disassembly. Somebody isn't playing nice with the others
Thanks! I might actually have to look into it now if there's a chance I don't have to pull the whole case(I tell my wife to wear 2 pair of socks. lol). Good thing (wallet wise) is I got a 98 bravada at work I can yank needed stuff from.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:56 PM

Open the driver door, get on your knees, stick your head under the steering wheel, here's what you'll see:

With the engine at idle, move the mode switch and you should see the actuators move the linkage. You can check for vacuum in each mode switch position by following this chart:

Attached Thumbnails Things your Blazer does to let you know its winter?-actuatorsunderdash_zpsaed2fb6a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Things your Blazer does to let you know its winter?