General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Thinking about trading the Rainier

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 08:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking about trading the Rainier

I have wanted to get a Tahoe for a while now. The local Chevy dealer just took in a fully loaded '04 Tahoe Z71 on trade, maroon in color. The biggest down side is that it has 121,xxx miles on it. I would be taking a rather large step backwards in mileage as my Rainier has 58,xxx miles, but would only be taking on an additional $6k in debt to get into a fullsize.

My '04 Rainier has done quite well with everything I have thrown at it, but seems a bit too light for my new camper. Power wise, it does ok, but the last trip we took, it was windy out. That wasn't too good of a feeling to have when you get hit with a blast of wind and have things move around as much as they did! A fullsize platform would add the stability that I am looking for.

The Tahoe has the 5.3L LS motor, 4L60E trans, NV246 transfer case that shifted through all modes readily, 3.73 gears, G80 rear diff, and somewhat decent tires. It could use shocks, an intermediate steering shaft, and I would do a tune up on it right out of the gate given the mileage and what appears to be original wires. The exhaust manifold bolts are all intact and not too rusty looking (somewhat of a problem area for these engines). The frame has some rusty spots, but nothing serious. The front bumper has the typical rust spots due to chipped paint. Besides the front bumper, the body is VERY straight and clean. The only thing that worries me on the exterior is that the rear of the driver side running board feels a bit spongy when I step on it...

Thoughts? Opinions? Attached is a representative photo, but is not the actual vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking about trading the Rainier-2923110_d1ec7538-4154-4eac-b084-588aacef8446.jpg  
Old 10-19-2010, 10:17 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds well equiped for serious towing (and serious gas suckage). The thing that would give me pause is the mileage vs price, but we know you aren't scared of mechanical work.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

We've got an 02' Silverado 1500 with the 5.3 and it's been plenty powerful and strong as nails. We've got a 28ft travel trailer, two place snowmobile trailer, and a 17ft Speed boat and all are pulled like a breeze. The gas mileage isn't really too bad either, a little bit less than what I get in my Jimmy haha. IMO, i'd go for it, good luck with your decision!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My mileage sucks with my Rainier as it is. Even with 1000lbs more weight, driving in 2HI may end up with similar or even better mileage. Gearing is the same between the two.

I'm not exactly sold on this truck, but they are asking $14,800 for it. That seems pretty good from what I have been looking at on Autotrader, etc. I'll just have to see how far down I can get them. If I fix the bumper, I'm sure I can knock $500-$600 off. The intermediate steering shaft is EASY since I've already done it a few times already.

The controls inside have the black paint chipped in several spots which leads me to believe that this was driven by a someone with long nails. It hasn't been smoked in which is always welcome.

But there are some things that would bug me. The 3rd row seats would likely get tossed into the basement. Not having rear buckets makes that kind of a wasted option. I could keep an eye out for the 2nd row buckets & correct color 3rd rows. Then paint the pins which are now a dark teal color ().

Old 10-19-2010, 04:45 PM
stevo is an unknown quantity at this point

my dads got an 04 silverado with the 5.3
very strong engine
we haul a 8000 pound trailer and a 25 foot boat behind it with no problems
tell them you will give them like 12k for it
when my dad bought our trailblazer this year, dealerships were hurting
they wanted 22k for it and my dad said hed give 15
threatened to walk out and they handed over the keys

Old 10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Administrator

I talked them down to $14k on it and am quite happy at that. I later found out that the previous (original) owner was one of the service techs at the dealership. It was his wife's truck, but he racked up most of the miles on it driving to/from Albany for his side business (watercraft). He routinely towed a jet ski or two.

He just got done completely going through the brakes with all dealer parts. New backing plates on the rear axle with new wheel bearings & seals while he had the axles out. Front/rear axles and the transfer case were just serviced. New transmission cooler lines were just installed along with a transmission service. New front wheel bearing and tie rod end on the passenger side. All of this was done last month with the records to prove it. He was getting the truck ready for winter when his wife decided she wanted a 2010 Avalanche.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Sounds pretty good in that case. That's a gen III Vortec IIRC which I have in my truck and I must say it's a VERY NICE engine. I want more power, but don't need it lol, it hauls anything and everything I need it too, like a fully loaded 14' aluminum fishing boat on the trailer and a 600lb ATV in the box. Doesn't really slow the truck down too much.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hows the carfax look on it?

Old 10-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Shows 19 records. I was going to get the full report from them tomorrow unless one of you has access to run the report... We haven't signed anything yet. From my inspection while the truck was on the lift, if it had been in any kind of major impact, whoever did the work did a DAMN good job. The body was very straight underneath.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Kyle,

The first thing I did was go to Kelley Blue Book. I don't have every option but I plugged in an 04 Tahoe 4x4 LT with a 5.3 & 121,000 miles. I'm on the west coast so how much difference that makes I'm not sure but Wholesale is $9,375 Private Party $11,866 Retail in Excellent Condition Only 5% of Vehicles fall into that category according to KBB. is $15,060. The rest were in GOOD condition.
So in my opinion $14,000 is TOO HIGH.
After reading what has been said here if it were me I would PASS on this one. But remember I'm an old man & I buy Cheap. I paid $5000 for our 97 Blazer 4x4 in 08 with 87,000 miles in good condition the problems I had that were major the dealer took care of FREE & gave us a NEW Honda Accord to drive for a week. We have 151,000 on that truck & I feel to this day it owes me 200,000+ miles to get my money out of it. Our 98 Jeep GC Limited 5.9. A one year only Jeep with 121,000 in good condition when bought in 09 I bought for $3300.
Just food for thought. These dealers are not selling vehicles as they want you to believe. Debt right now is BAD & to increase DEBT is not good in my opinion. I'm sorry if I sound like a father, but there are lots of good deals out there. I looked for several months & drove & inspected many vehicles before I bought the Blazer & Jeep. When I was young I use to buy new vehicles every few years & I only wish I had half the money I wasted doing that.
Be patience take your time.
Again I sorry for preaching.

Last edited by 4x4blazerguy; 10-19-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading the Rainier