Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/tips-driving-2wd-blazer-snow-ice-40040/)

Spectreblazer 02-06-2010 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JRob238 (Post 296075)
Ok guys whatever im not gonna argue you obviously are not getting the point.

Only thing I can suggest is going offroading. Not behind the dumpster at work but to a actual OHV park. Try a hill in 2wd with limited traction or no traction then try it in 4wd. then try it going down the hill in 2wd and then do it in 4wd. I guess I just have more experience with 4wd than most on here. It really doesn't seem like there is a big offroad following with blazers. Yes I have saw the offroad section.

Again not trying to offend anyone I just can't see how you guys think a 2wd and a 4wd are equals.

as far as offroading goes, yes it is easier to control your decent on hills with 4wd, overall 4wd is better then 2wd is so many ways when it comes to traction issues, you have more parts moving so yes its going to slow down faster then if you were in 2wd, when you're on ice it all goes out the window, ice=0% traction, doesn't matter how many tires you have. so i agree with both sides here, but a 4wd is gonna beat a 2wd any day.

old skool luvr 02-07-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mczuk (Post 295863)
Not sure about you guys but I don't use 4 low on the street. 2 high and 4 high have the same gear ratio.

thanks, i was wondering if anyone else was gonna point that ouy.

Originally Posted by JRob238 (Post 296075)
Ok guys whatever im not gonna argue you obviously are not getting the point.

Only thing I can suggest is going offroading. Not behind the dumpster at work but to a actual OHV park. Try a hill in 2wd with limited traction or no traction then try it in 4wd. then try it going down the hill in 2wd and then do it in 4wd. I guess I just have more experience with 4wd than most on here. It really doesn't seem like there is a big offroad following with blazers. Yes I have saw the offroad section.

Again not trying to offend anyone I just can't see how you guys think a 2wd and a 4wd are equals.

i'm trying not to piss on your parade Rob, but you should know that going up the hill is an advantage to the 4WD because it spreads out the traction to ALL 4 wheels, creating less chance of torque spin, thus creating more traction. as for decending a hill (see below)

Originally Posted by swartlkk (Post 296085)
As stated, engine braking is minimal on these trucks unless you drop the shifter down into a lower gear which on snow and ice is a great way to loose control.

Do you agree that your stopping power is directly related to the traction available between the tires and the road?

everyone here seems to be missing the most obvious problem with this discussion-all of the trucks (well, except for Pat) are automatic, and unless someone has figured out how to keep their torque converter locked up when off the throttle, none of the trucks are gonna truely slow down their decent going down a grade.

i've said it (many times) before, the worst thing they (GM) ever did, was to get rid of the manual trans option in the 4 doors.

an while Kyle is right about the loss of control on ice (maybe snow), every situation is different. personally, i've know that having stick in my '92 saved my bacon quite a few times-on snow & in the mud anyways. on ice, it's pretty much a crap shoot (and a Clydesdale horse shoe in your back pocket) if you avoid the carnage coming @ you. or rather what carnage you're aimed @.

oktain 02-07-2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by JRob238 (Post 295742)
Ok I dont think im getting my point across clearly. Stopping in 2wd and stopping in 4wd is not the same thing. a 4wds transfer case will alter the ratios of the motor allowing you to you less braking power. Less brakes on ice means more traction. A 2wd you can shift into first but you are still in a higher ratio than in a 4wd so you will need more braking power which could result in less traction.

No matter how you guys cut it a 4x4 will always supercede a 2wd in limited traction situations.

Granted if you 2wd has things like posi lock, limited slips, or even lockers sure your rear wheels may not slip but you still are depending alot on those brakes. Where as in a 4wd you can engage your transfer case which alters your ratios and allows you down shift and use that extra motor braking to help you stay off your brakes.

I had a 2wd and a 4wd cherokee. The ratio on the 2wd was 2:1 the ratio on the 4wd was 4:1 double.

I am not really sure how much you guys offroad or what exactly the people here would consider "offroad" but it just seems that no one is really thinking about how a transfercase actually works and what it does. Its more than just turning 4 wheels at once.

I am not trying to offend anyone and I am not saying 2wd are trash or anything of the sort. I just dont get all the talk about 2wd being the same as a 4wd on ice or on anything for that matter because they are two completly different systems.

I know you threw in the towel, but look at it this way. In racing, friction used for cornering, CANNOT be used for acceleration. Likewise, friction used for braking cannot be used for turning. There's just too much kinetic energy there, and you actually overcome the co-efficient of friction between the pavement and tires sending you into a slide.

That being said, how is the act of engine BRAKING different from actually APPLYING the brakes? You're still asking the wheels to slow you down, applying a negative kinetic force. On ice however, that coefficient of friction is so small that almost nothing grips, and if there's a layer of water you're done.

Downshifting in a 4wd and a 2wd from the same speed ON SNOW may give the 4wd an advantage because now you have the friction of all 4 wheels working with you. 2wd will likely slide a little bit and slow down not as fast but you'll have more control over it because your front wheels will have more traction than the front wheels of the 4x4. TRUST ME. I've engine braked in slippery situations (I drive stick so it's easier for me yet.) And in 2wd, when the truck would get sideways I'd be able to keep it in my lane and keep going in the direction I wanted. However when I had it in 4wd and the same thing happened, because the front wheels were doing the same as the back (the negative energy was too great for the amount of friction offered by the slippery surface) I turned into a hockey puck (which was appropriate because my Blazer's black...) and I had no control of the direction in which I was sliding. By some divine miracle I missed an Exploder and a post and came to a (backwards) stop before entering the busy intersection. Shortly thereafter I invested in a set of winter tires, but that's another story.

Now, negative energy (If you don't know) it's the energy applied in such a way that it acts against the direction in which an object is travelling. In the case of a slide, the forward energy of the vehicle is too great for the frictional energies (aka negative energies) to overcome that forward motion. Such is the case on ice and slippery surfaces with a low co-efficient of friction. The larger the co-efficient, the more friction that surface has to offer. Two pieces of rubber rubbing together has a high co-efficient to name an example.

The biggest thing I can say about loss of control with a 4wd is, when you start sliding they tell you don't apply the brakes... that's because it'll lock up all 4 wheels and you're done. In 4wd, engine braking, is alot like applying the brakes. Now you've got all the frictional energy of the front tires working to try and slow you down, how can you control where you're going now? The same thing happens when FWD cars start understeering in a slippery condition, when my Cavalier would start doing this I'd get off the throttle and pop it in neutral, now I'm free wheeling and most all the energy was going towards making the turn instead of slowing me down in which case I would have kept on trucking and looking like this poor fellow:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._2658410_n.jpg

In conclusion, 4x4 is only good for straight line acceleration in slippery situations. Don't expect it to save you when you're trying to stop... If I had to chose between a controlled slide and experiencing what it feels like to be a hockey puck for the next 15 seconds... I'll take the controlled slide, and I'm sure that everyone would as well.

*EDIT* Sorry about the novel

oktain 02-07-2010 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr (Post 296386)
on ice, it's pretty much a crap shoot (and a Clydesdale horse shoe in your back pocket) if you avoid the carnage coming @ you. or rather what carnage you're aimed @.

:icon_doh:I forgot to mention ice... simply stated... that horse shoe you mentioned Chris? I think it would actually have to be up your arse, not just in your back pocket.

old skool luvr 02-07-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by oktain (Post 296405)
:icon_doh:I forgot to mention ice... simply stated... that horse shoe you mentioned Chris? I think it would actually have to be up your arse, not just in your back pocket.

that's what i had originally posted, but changed out the "ass" for "back pocket". figured i'd be less likely to hear about it.

ABN31B 02-07-2010 04:16 PM

i'm still hurt about the part where i post joke pictures of driving on barkdust cals my ability to drive around in the woods into play when we were talking about stopping on ice :(