General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member
Kevin.N.Odom is on a distinguished road
Default tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice

We just got snow in charlotte, nc . I've never drove a rear wheel drive truck in the snow. my previous car was an AWD Audi. Does any one have any tips for driving on iced over roads. I Considered Lowering the pressure in the back tires and driving like that. Will that work?

Old 01-30-2010, 06:21 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road

just take it easy. lowering the pressure will give you a little better traction but ice is nasty really dont matter what you do you will still slide if you dont have 4x4

Old 01-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member
Kevin.N.Odom is on a distinguished road

well should i lower the pressure in front and back or just back

Old 01-30-2010, 06:48 PM
Beginning Member
Becca is on a distinguished road

We've been out in this mess all day in Charlotte and Gastonia. Just remember to slow down, increase distance between you and the car in front of you, and don't slam on the brakes. Downshift when necessary.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:50 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

first you are probably gonna wish you paid the extra coinage and got 4wd

well the most common thing would be to put weight in the rear. on these you already have part of the body over the frame, so i wouldn't go over 200 lbs. also don't drive fast (obviously) even if your late, its a hard thing to accept you're gonna be late but hey you'll still have your vehicle in 1 piece. get a decent all terrain tire. or if you got the money run 2 different sets, 1 aggresive snow tire and 1 summer tire.

to conclude, if you're serious about driving through snow, the best is 4wd, something to consider the next time you're looking for another vehicle

best of luck

Old 01-30-2010, 08:00 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

just go slow and don't try to take off fast, or stop on steep hills. my truck is 4wd and i hardly EVER use the 4wd when driving and I live in NY. the truck gets put into 4wd maybe once a week, if that.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

best advice, stay home until the roads are salted and plowed
if you have to go out leave early, drive slow, make sure your gas tank is full and keep a tow strap and some kitty litter in the truck

He lives in NC it snows there once every 3-4 years he really doesnt need a 4wd truck unless he plans on going off roading

Old 01-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by packofqtips
best advice, stay home until the roads are salted and plowed
if you have to go out leave early, drive slow, make sure your gas tank is full and keep a tow strap and some kitty litter in the truck

He lives in NC it snows there once every 3-4 years he really doesnt need a 4wd truck unless he plans on going off roading
true, it just im really bias towards the 4wd trucks and community. i live in michigan where if you have a 2wd truck or suv your a joke in the town. they do have their application in citys and states that do not get snow often. gas milage is a huge advantage in 2wd. im not really familar with NC so i probably shoulda check stuff out before but you know how us offroad types are.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

this is my 2wd all winter long

Old 01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

If you're going around a corner and the back end starts swinging around... DO NOT over correct, just keep the wheels pointed in the direction you want to go (you're still correcting, just not putting your *** in the ditch when the truck catches traction). AND take your foot off the gas, it should grip up and come back straight.

Quick Reply: tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice