General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Today may be decision day for the Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 06:28 AM
Starting Member
donald_archer is on a distinguished road
Default Today may be decision day for the Blazer

Well it may be finally here. The day that I may have to scrap one of my favourite vehicles I have ever owned. The mechanic that I usually have work on the blazer(a friend and neighbour) has moved on to other things and not returning texts, and I do not have the garage space to do major work on it so i have to take it in and get work done on it at a professional garage. I think that I have blown a wheel bearing/ hubs on the front of the Blazer. The low speed ABS sensors have not been working and I have a loud and persistent grinding and thumping noise coming from the front left. I did just finish a brake job on the front hoping that would cure my problem, it certainly sounded like brake issues. I have an appointment with a shop at 9:00 this morning and will find out what it will cost to fix. If it is too high my only choice may be to scrap it which is a shame because the engine and the drive train are all strong.

Wish me luck
Don

Old 07-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Starting Member

Well it is in the shop. Definitely have wheel bearing issues and there may be some other work that needs to be done in the steering. I will find out hopefully before noon

regards

Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

If you can do a brake job doing the wheel hubs isn't that much more work,

Your choice but these vehicles are notorious for being hard on the front suspension and steering box.

I hadn't done either until I got my ZR2 and that was after I turned 50.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I dont think the bill will be too bad. And as long as your not rough on the truck, they should last good with proper care.

hope all goes well

Old 07-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road
Default Dont scrap it!!!

Wheel bearings and hub assy is not that hard and not a major repair.
Theres lots of how to dyi online.
If the engine and drivetrain is still good, fix it and good luck.
Is it 4x4?

Old 07-02-2020, 01:08 PM
Starting Member

Well the verdict is in. Front left is screwed. Lower ball joint, idler arm, tie-rod and front hub/bearing assembly. Oddly enough the right side is not overly bad except for the ABS sensor. Total bill bill be about 800.00 + a wheel alignment, This will be the most I have ever spent on it at a single throw but I still think it is worth it. Time will tell..

Thank your for your encouragement I appreciate it

Old 07-02-2020, 04:55 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Worth it to me... I try to keep a budget of around 1000 a year for maintenance...

Old 07-02-2020, 06:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by DonL
Worth it to me... I try to keep a budget of around 1000 a year for maintenance...
I will be a little over that this year but other years except a 40.00 oil change I don't lay a wrench on it so it balances out I guess. Going to be reunited with the old girl sometime tomorrow if nothing else pops up. Guess it was worth it

Old 07-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Starting Member

Well I got it back from the shop yesterday around 3 pm. A bunch of front end work was completed and I have to admit that it steers and handles a lot better than it did. ABS is still operating at low speed and it will until I replace the right hub/bearing assembly.
Total bill came in just under 950.00

There are a couple of minor things that need to be done now. The right hub and the front brake flex hoses but they can wait for another day.

Thanks for the support. Guess I will be keeping it for the time being

Regards

Old 07-04-2020, 01:39 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Keep it on the road. Any new car , large or small, will cost that much in two monthly payments. Plus your taxes will go up considrably.

Quick Reply: Today may be decision day for the Blazer