General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Top gear crowns blazer as toughest off roader

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 04:10 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

i grew up with GM and a 93 toyota pick 4x4 (dads work truck) and its true wut they say about the toyota. they go forever <..> almost 200k miles and no engine problem yet, just a/c problem :P and uk ur normal stuff like oil and tires

Old 08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I knew the K5 was going to win at the very beginning because Chevys are all around great vehicles. But the driver plays a part in the success of it. Extreme offroad vehicle does not give anyone the brains to operate it properly (I know someone with a Jeep who has done stupid stuff with it. Bad karma because he later almost totaled it in an accident). Sometimes it literally takes a nerd. Like not being so aggressive on the rocks that destroyed the Bronco's rear axle? Putting the food in the right place under the hood so it didn't short out anything (aka like Jeep driver?)? The very simple carpet solution to cross the road? The boat tail (ok, that is a bit dumb, but it worked) and driving steadily and carefully to save gas and it made it to the hotel with enough fuel to spare to hand the keys to the valet?! Wow.

Bottom line: Any vehicle is only as good as the nut between the wheel and the seat.

EDIT: Speaking of the trailer, if I was in the competition and had a choice, I would have left the trailer. Too much of a hassle. I don't tow, but I have a roof box for this truck and that is a hassle on longer trips because of the drag and extra weight in the wrong place. If I am going on a trip longer than 2 hours away or if I know I am going to be driving more than 60mph the whole way, I ditch extra weight and leave the cargo box at home. I have been camping before and I have slept in this truck on a couple occasions. If it is cold or raining, all I really need is a ground pad and a sleeping bag and I will be comfortable. I just fold the left rear seat and clear between the driver seat and the rear door and I have a bed.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 08-15-2011 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

actually chevy won all three challenges, it won that best offroading one where he had to touch the glacier, the dually one they had on last week i think and now this one. the only thing i found unfair about the last challenge was that k5 was probably fuel injected and was the newest one but ftw it still won

Originally Posted by Steve-o
ford r to much of a hastle chevy is simple and easy to fix :]
i couldnt agree more. i work on ford, chevy and dodges all day. you think fords are bad try working on a chrysler product.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by abig84
actually chevy won all three challenges, it won that best offroading one where he had to touch the glacier, the dually one they had on last week i think and now this one. the only thing i found unfair about the last challenge was that k5 was probably fuel injected and was the newest one but ftw it still won

i couldnt agree more. i work on ford, chevy and dodges all day. you think fords are bad try working on a chrysler product.
Nope, Ford was a 93, K5, 89.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM

All 3? Best vehicles in the world. Chevy may have been in financial trouble, but at least their vehicles aren't getting recalled left and right like some Asian company (*cough* *cough* Toy *cough* o *cough* ta).

This K5 wasn't the newest vehicle at Death Valley. It was an 89. The F.O.R.D. was a 94.

How so? If they are domestic, how are they bad to work on? What are the main problems they have that Chevys don't have as often?

EDIT: ChevyBlazerChick, that was weird. You JUST beat me in the race to the post button.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:02 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

haha was funny when they flipped the ford over to cross the pavement even tho the tires still touched the pavement =P

Old 08-15-2011, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
haha was funny when they flipped the ford over to cross the pavement even tho the tires still touched the pavement =P
I thought that the truck was rolled beyond 90 degrees originally (more toward the roof than the frame) and the tires were not, but you are right. The tires touched the pavement. They should have disqualified the F.O.R.D. from the competition there. It least it would have saved it from further embarrassment with what happened later.

I am surprised that the damage was mainly cosmetic and that the weird angle and vehicle weight on places where it didn't belong didn't cause further damage. Nice smoke when they fired it up.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

Top Gear America is great I like their challenges and general humor.
Top Gear BBC is hillarious you have to wonder if they wreck and burn as much as they do on purpose or if they really are blithering idiots. LOL

Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I watch the show a lot and was surprised to hear they voted the Chevy K5 the strongest 4x4. But I thought it was pretty hilarious that the Bronco broke his rear axle and held the tire on with a piece of wood. I knew there always was a reason I liked Chevy after they were voted best truck, best 4x4, and the corvette zr1 has one of their fastest track times especially when you compare the price of all the other exotic cars on their list.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

if i was gonna have a exotic care thats between 100k and 500k id only choose the ZR1 or the ford gt. lol both nice and fast cares. dont see them on the road but mabye once a year at most (around where i live anyways)

Quick Reply: Top gear crowns blazer as toughest off roader