General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Top gear crowns blazer as toughest off roader

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:04 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
I watch the show a lot and was surprised to hear they voted the Chevy K5 the strongest 4x4. But I thought it was pretty hilarious that the Bronco broke his rear axle and held the tire on with a piece of wood. I knew there always was a reason I liked Chevy after they were voted best truck, best 4x4, and the corvette zr1 has one of their fastest track times especially when you compare the price of all the other exotic cars on their list.
Chevys are the best trucks. In that show, the driver of the Ford returned on foot. The Ford was bad enough, but the Ford + the driver is a bad combination. That combination led to 3rd place out of 3 trucks. The Jeep is a good vehicle for what it was doing, but the overall quality is lower (allergic to beans?).

Every mechanic I have ever taken this truck to owns a Chevy Truck. Not sure if that is a good or bad sign, but still. One of them has a 90s Silverado with 250,000 miles on it and a mid-2000s 2500 pickup.

Chrysler should have not been bailed out, especially with all the sites about the extremely low quality of newer Chrysler products.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

i looked today on chrysler website and they only offer 4 cars now (besides jeep and dodge)

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Steve-o
i looked today on chrysler website and they only offer 4 cars now (besides jeep and dodge)
That's because they are putting their money on Jeep and Dodge. There are only 4 CHRYSLER brand vehicles, but there are 9 Dodges (10 if you count the Ram, but it looks like it is a separate brand) and 6 Jeeps they sell for their money. No matter what brand, it the money goes to the same place and since they probably think that the Dodge and Jeep brands are more popular, they have more of a selection selling those brands. Plus they make more money through less than ethical practices.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 08-15-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:33 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I watched it also, loved the carpet tank idea.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough

best part in my opinion

Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I never thought that would have worked in a million years... he coulda saved the trouble by just laying the carpet across the road... but I guess the tank idea makes the show more interesting

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
I watched it also, loved the carpet tank idea.

haha yea but wouldn't be easier to just put it on the pavement and drive over ? =P

I like when they rolled over the bronco and winched it across but the tires still touched the pavement

Old 08-16-2011, 12:52 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
haha yea but wouldn't be easier to just put it on the pavement and drive over ? =P

I like when they rolled over the bronco and winched it across but the tires still touched the pavement
Yea, that bronco was messed up pretty bad after being dragged, but when he was trying to save weight, he cut the back of it off haha. That was funny and also him getting rid of the spare.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by tibby
Yea, that bronco was messed up pretty bad after being dragged, but when he was trying to save weight, he cut the back of it off haha. That was funny and also him getting rid of the spare.
Yea that was the dumbest thing I have ever seen done with a 4x4 vehicle. Also the spare might not have been any good anyway if he couldn't get the tire to clear the bar trying to remove it or put the new one on, so carrying it in the truck would be pointless anyway.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:29 AM
Beginning Member
grayfort is on a distinguished road

The idea of having $5000 to spend on a truck you found online got me to look on craigslist, search for 4X4 and put 5000 as the max amount just to see what was out there. In this area (Arkansas), I found several monster trucks available for that kind of money. Large tires and high ground clearance would be ideal for that type of challenge.

Quick Reply: Top gear crowns blazer as toughest off roader