Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Chat (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/)
-   -   Tow hook question. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-chat-34/tow-hook-question-72951/)

Guestaloompa 08-12-2012 05:29 PM

Tow hook question.

I guess this would be the best place to post this. Anyway, I thought all 4wd Blazers had stock tow hooks. Mine is a 1994 4 door, 4wd and it doesn't even have the cutouts in the plastic piece in front for tow hooks. Tomorrow I'm going to look to see if it even has the bolt holes. Anyone know if this was an option or something?

Rottidog 08-12-2012 06:40 PM

Type in your VIN code here & see what was original on the blazer.
Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

Captain Hook 08-12-2012 08:04 PM

Tow hooks were an option on 2nd gen. I had a 1st gen with tow hooks, so if yours doesn't have them, it was probably an option for them too.

Guestaloompa 08-12-2012 09:22 PM

Okay thanks. Seeing as how it was (probably) an option and it being 4wd, it most likely has the bolt holes just doesn't have the hooks with I can get tomorrow when I get my engine out of the donor truck (I threw a rod). On a side note, what other year models and such have the vortec 4.3 like in my 94'. I'm getting any engine I want for a set $200 price from a friend that owns a junkyard and he has TONS of S-10s and blazers. So can I use a 93'-96' or is 96' too far up...? I mean, of course, interchangeability without anything but engine out/engine in and no wiring harness changes or "you can but have to use the oil pan from a 96' and the fan shroud from a 1988 F150 and a Ferrari F50 rim on the back".

Rottidog 08-12-2012 11:01 PM

Well it has to be a 4wd or just swap the oil pan from your engine to the doner. Great chance to clean the pan really well with brake cleaner, 3M pad etc.
If you can get a PCM along with it a late model 2002 (with a W engine code) or later engine it will be EGR-less. I'm not sure how interchangable they are but it's a 4.3 vortec, just has a different PCM I think.

Captain Hook 08-13-2012 09:50 PM

You'll probably have to swap some stuff no matter what, unless you find a 1994. 1994 and older will have the same injection system, (CMFI) and the same computer controls. 1995 had 3 different computer control systems and two different injection systems... best to avoid a 95 engine. 1996 and newer all have CSFI, which is not compatible with your CMFI system so there would be substantial transfer of parts from the original engine to the donor engine.

neo71665 08-15-2012 11:59 AM

Tow hooks were an option for all models. The factory ones are weak and i wouldnt use them anyways. I've seen too many gm hooks bent straight with just minor pulling.

Melrock83 08-17-2012 01:22 AM

O crap...I just seen the comments concerning the 95s and of course I have the one thats "best to avoid" LOL so how do I know what computer and injection system mine has? Its also a 4wd 2dr and I love the tow package mine came with cause its helped me WHEN ITS BROKEN DOWN ON ME (which seems to b a habit it has formed)

Guestaloompa 08-17-2012 08:39 AM

I think he meant that it's best for me to avoid swapping to that year engine because of all the nessasary work involved.

Melrock83 08-22-2012 07:06 PM

I understood that he was giving u a heads up LOL I am just curious how to find out exactly what specifics my 95 has