General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Tow hook question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Beginning Member
Guestaloompa is on a distinguished road
Default Tow hook question.

I guess this would be the best place to post this. Anyway, I thought all 4wd Blazers had stock tow hooks. Mine is a 1994 4 door, 4wd and it doesn't even have the cutouts in the plastic piece in front for tow hooks. Tomorrow I'm going to look to see if it even has the bolt holes. Anyone know if this was an option or something?

Old 08-12-2012, 06:40 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about
Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Tow hooks were an option on 2nd gen. I had a 1st gen with tow hooks, so if yours doesn't have them, it was probably an option for them too.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

Okay thanks. Seeing as how it was (probably) an option and it being 4wd, it most likely has the bolt holes just doesn't have the hooks with I can get tomorrow when I get my engine out of the donor truck (I threw a rod). On a side note, what other year models and such have the vortec 4.3 like in my 94'. I'm getting any engine I want for a set $200 price from a friend that owns a junkyard and he has TONS of S-10s and blazers. So can I use a 93'-96' or is 96' too far up...? I mean, of course, interchangeability without anything but engine out/engine in and no wiring harness changes or "you can but have to use the oil pan from a 96' and the fan shroud from a 1988 F150 and a Ferrari F50 rim on the back".

Old 08-12-2012, 11:01 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Well it has to be a 4wd or just swap the oil pan from your engine to the doner. Great chance to clean the pan really well with brake cleaner, 3M pad etc.
If you can get a PCM along with it a late model 2002 (with a W engine code) or later engine it will be EGR-less. I'm not sure how interchangable they are but it's a 4.3 vortec, just has a different PCM I think.

Old 08-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll probably have to swap some stuff no matter what, unless you find a 1994. 1994 and older will have the same injection system, (CMFI) and the same computer controls. 1995 had 3 different computer control systems and two different injection systems... best to avoid a 95 engine. 1996 and newer all have CSFI, which is not compatible with your CMFI system so there would be substantial transfer of parts from the original engine to the donor engine.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Tow hooks were an option for all models. The factory ones are weak and i wouldnt use them anyways. I've seen too many gm hooks bent straight with just minor pulling.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:22 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

O crap...I just seen the comments concerning the 95s and of course I have the one thats "best to avoid" LOL so how do I know what computer and injection system mine has? Its also a 4wd 2dr and I love the tow package mine came with cause its helped me WHEN ITS BROKEN DOWN ON ME (which seems to b a habit it has formed)

Old 08-17-2012, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

I think he meant that it's best for me to avoid swapping to that year engine because of all the nessasary work involved.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

I understood that he was giving u a heads up LOL I am just curious how to find out exactly what specifics my 95 has

Quick Reply: Tow hook question.