General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

towing

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
canuck blazer is on a distinguished road
Question towing

Hey guys I have a question
I have a 2002 4 door 4x4 or 4x2 lol and If I had to be towed can I manually put my transfer case in neutral ? I know in the 1989s you can but they have a
neutral in the 4x4 selector where as I only have 4hi and 4lo would there happen to be a way on the transfer case to do this? this is just a question that has been bothering me for a while thanks Mike.c

Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I am going to say no on this, I was lost on the 4x4 or 4x2, but if you have the option to change to 4x4. there is no optiono to put the transfer case in neutral.
But in my eyes, neutral would basically be the same as putting the t-case into 2wd. (disengaging it)
I was towed in my jimmy (first gen) once for about 2 miles when the fuel pump went out, I had it just in 2wd, and we kept the speed below 30-35mph.

Which brings me back to, when its in drive, with no 4wd engaged, then its fine.... to a point, I would not do this for an extended period of time.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, if you need to tow it, put the trans in neutral, and the T-case in 2wd.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Starting Member

thanks guys I was curious just in case, one never knows

Old 10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Starting Member
HostileJava is on a distinguished road

I believe I read in my owners manual that if you have the Auto 4wd button that you can not be flat towed, however if your front wheels are off the ground keep it in 2wd and neutral and you should be fine.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:30 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I did not have auto 4wd, and never have, but when my first gen blazer got totaled, and had to be towed, they had to put it on the dollys. Otherwise we would have had to disconnect the rear drive shaft, or you will destroy your transmission.

Old 10-18-2013, 12:33 AM
karlonline is on a distinguished road

From what I have heard that it can be towed normal as long as the battery is hooked up. If not it has to be flat bedded.

I have been told by several towing companies that if the battery is dead or disconnected the transfer case can engage 4wd while being towed.

When my fuel pump went out, before the towing company would send a truck, they had to know if the battery worked.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 AM
BF Veteran

That makes no sense to me. The shift motor isn't getting any power when the vehicle is turned off, so how would that keep it from shifting on it's own? Not to mention I would have a hard time imagining a T-case shifting itself into 4wd while being towed.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:55 AM
Starting Member

wow some interesting replies gonna have to do some more research thanks guys

Quick Reply: towing