General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Which Trailer Hitch to Get

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:05 AM
alt204 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Trailer Hitch to Get

Long time reader, first time poster...

I just bought a 2005 blazer, and was wondering which trailer hitch you all recomend, the OEM from the GM dealer ($220) or an aftermarket reese hitch ($150). I have heard the aftermarket hitches hang fairly low and don't fit as well as the GM hitch. Both are class 3 (4000lbs) units.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:40 AM
iceflames11 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Which Trailer Hitch to Get

Not sure which is better, but if you decide to go with the OEM hitch, go to your local junkyard first. Picked mine up for $70 and its basically brand new.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:34 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Must be nice to have good junk yards like that, lol...

The only one near me, charges almost brand new prices for old stuff...

A used steel rim from a '97 Blazer is $75...

I'll probably be getting draw-tite hitches... Depends on the price, I guess... I'm getting front/rear hitches, though...

Old 05-01-2007, 01:51 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

reese makes a hitch that hangs tight against the frame much like the OEM GM hitch... if you dont want it to hang low, dont go with hidden hitch brand... the name can be decieving.....

Old 05-01-2007, 09:06 PM
BLK85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Id get an after market one, no use paying $70 more for the GM one.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:30 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: a_tack

reese makes a hitch that hangs tight against the frame much like the OEM GM hitch... if you dont want it to hang low, dont go with hidden hitch brand... the name can be decieving.....
I've noticed that... The "Hidden Hitch" is never hidden on anything other than low riding mini-vans and cars, lol...

Old 05-02-2007, 08:40 PM
Starting Member
BlackBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been looking for one to, how easy do they install

Old 05-03-2007, 07:53 AM
BF Veteran

As far as I know, they just bolt on... If it's made specifically for the Blazer (not one of those universal ones) there shouldn't be any drilling at all... I know there's none for the front...

Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Hidden hitch class IVis what I have, it ain't hidden though. Its made to fit the S10 and its hidden on it, but not on my Blazer.The model I have was discontinued though.
I like my hitch,Ive pulled upsmall trees and bushes and Ive also pulled a 21ft Carolina Skiff withit. My hidden hitch costed $130 and theMasterlock E-Z mount hitch ball $20 and the Reese Class V reversable ball mount.

Old 05-03-2007, 12:59 PM
alt204 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks!

I ended up getting the reese hitch, which looks nearly identical to the GM one. I'll post pictures once its installed.

One other quick question, what size are the fittings on the stock radiator trans cooler? I'm guessing either 5/16 NPT or 3/8 NPT. I'm installing an aux. trans cooler and would rather not have to cut up the nice metal lines to use compression fittings.

Quick Reply: Which Trailer Hitch to Get