General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trailer weight???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:57 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Trailer weight???

How much can I pull with my blazer? Ive never seen anyone hauling a boat or anything more than a tent trailer on it. I have a utility trailer that used to be a tent trailer and I put what I estimate to be 1500-1750pounds on my trailer and the blazer pulls it allright but it bucks alot on braking and doesnt like the uphills too much. The hitch says class 1 on it.

What is the max I should be pulling from Abbotford to Edmonton through the Rocky Mountains??? And whats the max tounge weight you think I should have??? There is some crazy downhill runs on that road and I would hate to get brake fade cause I have no trailer brakes on the trailer... and I dont know if I feel comfortable with 1500 behind my little truck for downhills like that.

Im moving back home and want to get there. My father is hauling a UHaul behind his RV too but he wants me to carry as much as I can cause it costs him a thousand bucks for fuel to drive his RV here (1300km) and about 1500 to pull my possibly 8000 pound rental trailer behing him back there. And he says he doesnt want to burn up his engine climbing the hills at speed and I probably shouldnt rocket up them either. His RV has a big block Ford V10 in it and a monster transmission.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM
shligger is on a distinguished road

The towing capacity of a Blazer is around 5500 pounds, including drivers/passengers. If you're towing that much, you should have a trailer with brakes for safety purposes.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:17 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shligger
The towing capacity of a Blazer is around 5500 pounds, including drivers/passengers. If you're towing that much, you should have a trailer with brakes for safety purposes.
yeah 1500 really isnt that heavy but if your going down miles of downhill... it would be nice to have a manual transmission about that.

my car trailer weighs 1300lbs and ive towed that thing with my 2.8 s10 all over the place, with occasional 1-400lbs on it

its not that your truck cant pull it, its being able to control and stop it

Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Well i got the trailer loaded and pulled it over the truck scales on the highway, I got 2360 pounds total. I dont have trailer brakes, and I am going to adjust the rear brakes tomorrow cause i dont like how far down my Ebrake goes and I want all the braking force I can get. My tongue weight is only a few hundred pounds, I balanced the weight pretty good and I can almost lift the tongue by hands and grunting.

I think I might add a little of this heavy stuff onto the rental trailer my dads hauling though, it feels pretty heavy. I definatly wont be going the speed limit down the hills though.

Abig84, does your car trailer have electric brakes???

Old 05-17-2010, 09:41 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

The boat I have is an older fiberglass 1985 18' Regal Medallion. Dry it weighs 2250lbs, add fuel & gear etc & the galvanized trailer for it & I'm pulling over 3000lbs. The blazer doesn't seem to have an issue.
Though it isn't hilly here.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

I occasionally pull a 14' enclosed trailer. When the trailer gets above 3500 lbs, the Blazer gets a little temperamental trying to stop. Just make sure you're comfortable downshifting to help the brakes slow you down hills.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:15 PM

Right on, I feel better now guys. I have gone out a couple times and pulled it around here on the steep hills and such, i can stop it from 80 on the steep ones, so I think Ill be allright. Sure wish i had a stick shift though. My tires rub the tops of the wheelwells on the trailer some bumps and stuff, guess i have too much weight in it, but thats what I have to do. Ill be leaving tomorrow morning for Edmonton.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah ive had a bronco II on my 20ft car trailer behind mine along with my truck packed full. Probably around 5500lbs total. Gas millage wasnt the greatest but it pulled ok. I had a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway though. Along with trailer brakes.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

no. no trailer brakes. you could tell obviously that you were pulling something but it wasnt scary bad.

i even pulled a s10 pick up with a 4banger ranger a few miles which was 3 times over the weight that thing is supposed to tow and it stopped fine. now getting moving was a different story

Old 06-13-2010, 01:35 PM
martoon is on a distinguished road

I have a 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer. My 98 4 door 4x4 pulls it no problem.

Only issue is the squat in the back of the blazer when the trailer is loaded. does anyone else have this issue when a trailer is hooked up? Whats the best way to fix this? I was thinking 2 inch shackles???

Quick Reply: Trailer weight???