General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trailer weight???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

A load leveler hitch. Most large trailers have them, you would need the tounge for the truck to hook it up. Its the thing with the 2 bars and chains as well as the bar. You put the trailer on the ball and lock it, then crank the trailer up to a little above where you want to have the truck sit, then hook up the levelers and crank the trailer leg in. Voila, sits level.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:52 AM
reporob is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer squat

I installed two "Air Ride" air bags from Summit Racing (appr. $200.00) on my 2000 Blazer LS two door. It works great pulling the trailer (about 1500 lbs) and a 1000 lb ATV, on a 3000 km round trip in Northern Ontario.
Three trips so far = 0 issues. Just tought this might help.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
djsuperman is on a distinguished road

I pulled an '83 monte carlo souped up (about 3000+ pounds) and had no problems. i didnt even have to use the 4x4. just put it on 3

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

If your going to be doing any hills with anything over 2000lbs you should def get a tranny cooler and run it inline with the stock one or else you will overheat your transmission, trust me I learnt this the hard way, way cheaper to put one in than it is to put it in afterwards when goes wrong, and you lose all your atf and you damage your tranny or get stranded.
I pull a 5 x 8 enclosed utility trailer...it sucks back the gas mileage, not as much in the mountains though.....i get anywhere between 15L/100KM and 24L/100KM towing on the highway at about 100 KMH.......a 3 second gap on a double semi I can cruise in 4th gear in the praries with some wind, or can just keep it in 4th usually if its calm out...Drove out to the west coast with about 1500-1600lbs in it, never stopped at a scale although i was very tempted to a few times......But had no issues, some of the mountain passes lost some speed and was a slow trek up but have no problems braking.

Heres what I tow

Old 06-22-2011, 01:18 PM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point

While on the topic, is towing trailers weighing 1000 to 1500 in overdrive a no no?

Old 06-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

if6was9, I was just about to ask this! I've got a small boat that probably weighs just around 800-1000lbs. I heard towing in overdrive was bad all around so I've been keeping OD off

Old 06-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can tow in OD. I routinely tow heavy loads in OD. It's just that if the transmission starts hunting for the proper gear, you want to drop it down into 3rd. If it can hold 4th and isn't unlocking the torque converter or wanting to drop down into 3rd constantly, you can keep it in OD.

Old 06-23-2011, 09:30 PM

I tow 800-1500lbs regularly in OD, I find if your on the verge of jumping between od and 3rd to NOT use cruise control, you can hold OD with the converter locked alot easier, if you cant hold it then dump into 3rd.
If there be hills in your future GET a transmission cooler.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:41 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

how hard is it to put a second transmission cooler in?

Old 06-23-2011, 11:56 PM

Its not to hard, they usually are pretty easy to attach to the rad or ac condensor, then you just hook them up in line and flush with transmission fluid...........its alot easier and cheaper than taking the risk, if you overheat you will most likely blow the cooler inside the rad, then you get tranny fluid in the coolant and coolant in the tranny and you have to flush the engine a few times to get it all out and flush everything and replace the rad and basically its a huge PITA and a huge bill that you can avoid by throwing a second cooler in...itll be easier on your tranny to. dont take a chance its worth putting it in

Quick Reply: Trailer weight???