General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Trailer wiring

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Starting Member
if6was9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trailer wiring

The PO of my Blazer put on a class two hitch, but didn't do anything for the wiring. In decoding the RPO #'s I found: UY7 WIRING HARNESS , "TRUCK TRAILER, HD". I also scouted things under the rear bumper and found a wire loom that dead ended. Is this the trailer wiring? I would think GM engineers would leave a pig tail for trailer wires to be added.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:35 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Trailer wiring

yeah that should be the trailer wiring. should be 7 wires in the loom. I just did this the other day. I got a 7 wayRV plug, drilled out that hole by the lisence plate with a hole saw, and just bolted it on. It was alot easier than i thought...

Old 03-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look in your owners manual for the wiring identification information.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:08 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

there was just a thread on this kinda not to long ago i dont remember the name of the thread tho it was by a_tack in the general chat i believe

Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Taymacjack

yeah that should be the trailer wiring. should be 7 wires in the loom. I just did this the other day. I got a 7 wayRV plug, drilled out that hole by the lisence plate with a hole saw, and just bolted it on. It was alot easier than i thought...

That's what I did, too!

But only really useful on a 2 door, otherwise you won't be able to get your spare tire on a 4 door.

I'd reccomend going to a class 3/4 hitch, unless you never tow anything heavy.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Taymacjack is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

ORIGINAL: Taymacjack

That's what I did, too!

But only really useful on a 2 door, otherwise you won't be able to get your spare tire on a 4 door.

I'd reccomend going to a class 3/4 hitch, unless you never tow anything heavy.
ha ha thats true. yeah don't drill out that hole if your spare is underneath!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

my wiring thread was about a poor ground on a utility trailer... but I can answer this one..lol

if you are not towing anything heavy then just put on a 4-flat plug...

peel back the tape on the loom and there should be 7 wires.. the colors are as follows..

Yellow-left turn
Green-right turn
Brown-tail/stop
White-ground

(you will only need those four for a 4-flat plug)
If you insist on a 7 prong RV setup, then you will need the other 3 wires and a bigger hitch as a class 2 is not rated to pull anything big enough to use trailer brakes... the others are..

Orange-auxillary power (batt. charger on camper, etc..)
Blue-Trailer Brakes
and I think Purple(may be another color, but no color is in there twice)-Reverse lights

hope this helps, but I would seriously consider changing hitches to a class 3, 2" reciever because your blazer will tow more than a class 2 is rated for!

all of these wires are already tapped into the trucks electrical system. All you need to do is add the desired plug. If you get a 7-prong RV plug and wish to add trailer brakes, after wiring it properly you should be able to get a brake balance controller and the proper harness and just plug it in under the dash..

I have a class 3 hitch and a 4-flat plug. I never pull a trailer that breaks 3000lbs (bass boat)... and driving properly, your blazer's factory 4-wheel disc will stop a trailer that size with no problem..

Old 03-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Starting Member

Not that I'm going to use them; but is the trailer brake tied to the Blazers brake circuit? Or is an additional trailer brake unit needed?

I will only be towing my motorcycles and trailers under 1150 GVW. I don't think I'd want to tow anything heaver.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You'd need a brake controller... And you'll only have the brake controller wire going under the dash if you have the towing package, I believe.

Also, the orange wire is only there if you have the towing/trailer package...

The hitch should have its weight ratings on it somewhere...

For that amount of weight, you should be good... But I'd double check.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
Starting Member

Cool! Yea I had a class 4 hitch on my old K1500, and pulled a friends Sallien to Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course many a time. I had a nice adjustible controler for that. I forgot to look for a class rating on the Blazer's hitch. Will do. Thanks again all!

Quick Reply: Trailer wiring