General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 03:05 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default trans cooler

i was wondering how hard it would be to install a trans cooler on my blazer? what does the whole process cost. i pull things pretty often w/ it and think it would be a good idea to put one on if its not too expensive

Old 10-14-2007, 03:12 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: trans cooler

I did one on my Cougar, I'd imagine the Blazer is not too different. The total cost for me was just under 100 dollars.

I got a B&M cooler from summitracing for about $70. Compression fittings, teflon tape and mounting hardware.. call it another 20 bucks or so. 10 bucks for some oil cooler hose... etc

Basically, you're going to mount the cooler to the radiator, and intercept the return line from your radiator and use compression fittings. Its a bad idea, IMHO to bypass the radiator's transmission cooler altogether, since the radiator is going to aid in warming up the tranny fluid to operating temperature. Nice to keep things cool, but running tranny fluid that is too cold is probably almost as bad as running too hot.

Remove a small section of the hard line coming off the radiator to give you room to install compression fittings with ****** ends so you can run rubber hose.

So you're going to have Tranmsission>>>Radiator>>>extern al cooler>>>transmission...

As far as being a good idea, it won't hurt anything. But if you don't beat on the Blazer too much, I doubt its necessary. The Ford transmission in my Cougar is notorious for overheating, and I beat it frequently.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:42 PM

im not really beating on my blazer but where i live anywhere i go i have to pull at least one mountian if not more and i just would like to have one to help keep it cool

Old 10-14-2007, 03:59 PM
BigGreenMonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, you already do have a transmission cooler. It is part of the radiator... Like I said, the only reason I put one on my Mercury was because the stock cooler was not adequate. However, arguably, GM is a lot more competent when it comes to designing transmissions.... I would say its not really necessary. Spend that 100 bucks and get yourself a nice torque converter flush and a new tranny filter and that will be just peachy.

On a personal note, you just caused me to set the wrong end of my cigarette on fire. Shame on you![:'(]

Old 10-14-2007, 04:07 PM

my bad bout the cig man. those things are too expensive to do that

Old 10-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I recommend a B&M Supercooler. Comes with everything necessary to install on your truck. Depending on how you route your hoses, you may need some additional hose. You can usually pick up a supercooler for around $50-$60. Use the top line off of the radiator nad just plumb it inline.

I'll add that I have installed a cooler on every vehicle I have owned simply due to the fact that for every 10*F decrease in transmission fluid temperature nets you 100% improvement in fluid life (to a point). The fluid is the lifeblood of the transmission. Yes, too cool is a problem, but too hot is MUCH worse. The B&M supercooler has a viscosity controlled bypass. When the fluid is cool and thicker, it will bypass the AUX cooler.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:30 PM

thanks for the details swartkll i think i will order one

Old 10-14-2007, 04:33 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

It's ridiculously easy, i did a writeup here:

http://www.zr2usa.com/mboard/index.php?showtopic=17255

Old 10-14-2007, 04:41 PM