General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Transmission Fluid Levels

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:07 AM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Fluid Levels

I dipsticked my transmission fluid the other day (1996 S10 with only 90k), mainly to check the color/appearance, etc. Everything looked good in that respect (have had three previous fluid changes/filters, etc.; overkill, I know); red color/clear and all that.

However...the fluid LEVEL was a different matter altogether. When I dipsticked it cold without starting the engine, it was WAY over the Hot mark by about four inches.

So I consulted the owner's manual about how properly to check the fluid level. Seems like it's way more complicated than I would have imagined. You have to run the car up to operating temperature, then apply the brake and shift through all gears, then leave it running and only then are you supposed to check the level.

Anyway, I did all that and it dipsticked way high. So I used some plastic tubing and a syringe to extract out about 2/3 of a quart of fluid and then went through the whole procedure for dispsticking again (Hot reading). Now the level is just a hair above the hot-range markings.

Couple of points: 1.) I wish to thank my local Chevy dealer's ace mechanics (the ones who last changed the fluid after the pan gasket had leaked from their previous fluid change six months prior). They apparently are taught to do work in twos: they also had to redo the intake manifold gasket they had replaced. In addition, they recently misdiagnosed three other mechanical problems (had only taken the car in because of an oil change special they were running). 2.) Anyway, from what I'm reading online, it doesn't appear that the high fluid level I had been running with (about 15,000 worth) would have done any damage, but I'm not at all sure about that.

Anybody know for sure?

Old 07-18-2011, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

It being way over the full mark with it NOT running is normal. Drive the blaze around for 15 min or so to get it hot. Then leave it in park and check the fluid. It should not be above the "hot" mark. if it is,then drain some fluid.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Other than having more parasitic drag (possibly), I doubt any damage was done.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
RockyMountainHermit is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments. Yeah--I can see why a Chevy mechanic wouldn't give a rat's tail about any "parasitic drag" I might have to suffer as long as it didn't do any mechanical damage. BTW, good political terminology as well. That's what's wrong with our economy.