General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

truck accessories

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road
Question truck accessories

noticing there is no subject for accessories besides aren't fog lights, and winches, and flender flares all accessories?

well any way..been looking through winches...and have no clue WHAT i'm even looking at...i know there are 3 kinds mechanical, electric, and hydraulic, and was told not to ruke out come-a-longs...sure they're for mainly if you get stuck alone to use a thick tree as a post, but...not sure as to what i'm really getting my self into here...

i WOULD like one..not dirt cheap but that isn't going to break the bank but a quality one..that i could pull out some cable and not worry oh..is it going to snap...and i dont want TO heavy duty i've seen 11000lb and 20000lb rolling(i'm thinking thats a vehicle thats stuck*which is what i'd need no?)..but not like..cemented into the ground..or turned off..almost just like in neutral) winch...(and i have a feeling thats what i'd want, is a rolling winch) but can't justify spending 4, 5, 6, or even 1400$s (american) on a winch i may only use 3 or 4 times...unless i purpously get stuck for sht's n giggles...

so...any one have any suggestions?

as you can tell by my posts..i'm fairly new at playing in the mud so all these add on's are almost...overwhelming i'm used to just check tire pressure, and fluids and be on my way kind of driving, not check this.... tighten that, rotate this, poke that, spin around in a circle singing i'm a little tea pot... kind of stuff...

also....sorry when i write..i tend to write a book lol, i tend to like to be thorough in my questions so ppl aren't like...wth is she talking about lol

now dont think cause i'm a city girl i can't hang with the bog boys and play in the mud..i'm just not very..seasoned yet...is all

Old 12-09-2009, 02:22 PM
Starting Member
Bad Attitude is on a distinguished road

My advice if you don't want to break the bank is find yourself an electric boat winch that can fit onto your tow hitch or front towing eye they come in a variety of sizes and you can just have it in a carry box in the back of your truck. That is what I used to do with my suzuki off roader/play toy.

They are really very effective just make sure you buy one that is rated to equivilent spec of your trucks weight and also get some good recovery gear with it i.e. tree protector winch cable dampeners and good rated shackles.

Should be able to do it for under $500US easy it only cost me about $400NZ when I set mine up including the box (quad bike carry box) to mount it in

Old 12-09-2009, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

hitch mounted winch plate

3 ton winch

replace cable with rope for added safety

tree saver

now nothing represented here is the cheapest of cheap, it is all to illustrate a cheap, removable, easy to use set up. a tree save can be made from any nylon strap of any weight (heavier duty = better) you have on hand. then just throw a shackle link on it, and add a quick fit adapter with thick lipped floatting metal bar on one end (like a super belt end). this will build

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-09-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Banned

wow i never thought of that..the cable or rope desicion...glad i didnt buy that 10500lb winch today with 3/8 cable...should have for 250$s on ebay..but..didn't..

i dont suppose you have pics of that thick lipped floating bar thingy lol cause i have no clue what that even is lol

Last edited by MuddBunny84; 12-09-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Default whee!

a quick fit adapter with thick lipped floating metal bar is as follows:

the quick fit adapter is the 'square with a bar in the middle' belt end. look at any old school belt, not the pin-in-hole style, and that is a friction adapter.
a thick lipped bar just means instead of a rectangular tab in the middle, it is rounded on one end to allow for free flowing action across it with out binding.
Floating metal bar means it slides up and down on the square, it's not stationary.

i suggest one of those because it will make for an easily securable strap (think a big belt) that is very rugged and useful. All you need to do is add a pin on shackle to it and you now have a tree with a tow link.

thats a 1.5 ton version for reference

As for that winch you mentioned, if you could get a winch with 5 1/4 ton cable for $250 you should have jumped on it! with that thing you could cimb a mountian, hook up the cable, and winch you truck straight up a rock face! screw rope! with cable like that you could tie off to a plane and send your blazer to go see the NZ blazers

i am not condemming cable by any means. i'm just saying that a lot of people are making the switch to rope stype recovery line now.

also, the most important part!
****** BLOCK!
this thing is steroids for your winch. check it out!

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-09-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

A winch would be awesome on my blazer, Even if you dont use it much it would look badass lol

Old 12-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Banned

well once i get to the bank today and figure out what i've got left (free spending$ from selling the 3 blazers), bills and debt aside..i can still get it..the guy's local to me and i'm sure if i msg'd him w/my interest and volunteer'd to drive the 2 hours to pick it up it'd be mine, go fig the guy jacked the price from 250 to 400 cause ppl were biting..oh well, watching a couple down to the last mins from 250-350$ not bad for a 9000lb and 10000

Old 12-10-2009, 07:49 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Nothing can beat a winch really. Have the ability to pull YOURSELF out of a rut is a great feeling. I hope to have one someday, but they're like $1000 up here for a good one. I definitely wouldn't buy a cheap one. It's only think I wouldn't want to break while I'm pulling myself out.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Banned
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM
Banned

wow nvm that smitty is on a site for 300$s free shipping...just found my winch ordering today!!

Quick Reply: truck accessories