General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

True Towing Capacity?

Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 PM
Shain3777 is on a distinguished road
Default True Towing Capacity?

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LS 4.3L OHV 12V FI 4D 4X4 and I need to know how much it can truly tow. The manual says the standard bumper is rated for 2000 lbs. However, in two other locations in the manual the vehicle's capacity is listed at 5600 and 5900 lbs. If I install a class 3 hitch how much can I truly tow without damaging the vehicle?

Thanks!

Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

5500lbs is the capacity with a tow hitch. That includes what your pulling along with the passengers weight. I wouldnt tow anthing with the bumper mounted ball. I have a factory hitch and have towed a number of vehicles with no problems. trailer towed a 68 c10 for 110 miles with no issues.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Also depending on what your towing, a trans cooler is always a nice upgrade. Along with keeping up with regular maintenance.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Yeah, maintenance is an absolute must. I stay on top of that.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:17 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

To answer your question you posted another thread along with this one, to figure out if you have a tranny cooler you can look at your radiator and there should be two metal lines coming in on each side (along with the big rubber ones). one set of the two lines is for oil and the other is for transmission. If you only have one set of the metal lines then you probably dont have a tranny cooler.

But even if you do have the factory cooler it is still a smart idea to add an aux in line cooler if you are going to be towing anything for any good distance. Better to pay about 100 for the cooler than 2000 for a new transmission.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:47 PM

Sorry if this sounds like I am being ****, but if I read this correctly there should be two (2) metal lines (one set) if there is no tranny cooler and four (4) metal lines (two sets) if there is a tranny cooler. Is that right?

Thanks.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:58 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

2 lines on the passenger side of the radiator above the lower radiator hose, those go to the factory trans cooler. 2 lines on the driver side under the upper radiator hose is the engine oil cooler. Get a heavy duty trans cooler and totally bypass the factory trans cooler. Buy Imperial Maxi-KoolŽ XL Transmission Oil Cooler 243012 at Advance Auto Parts Pull the grille out and mount it right in front of the condenser, fits like a glove.

I wouldn't pull a kids Radio Flyer wagon without one

Old 10-18-2012, 10:08 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i got the factory transmission oil cooler in the rad but i agree a external tranny cooler would be a good idea if ur pulling alot i wanna do this mod as i offroad alot and it puts alot of stress on the tranny and i tow a 19 foor boat. anyone have pics how they spliced into the factory lines and set this up proper as im weiry of cutting the lines in the wrong place

Old 10-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

ive hauled on tow dolleys a 03 chevy malibu and a 96 eclipse gxs with no problems

Old 10-19-2012, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

You shouldn't have to cut any lines when installing an aux. trans cooler. They should plumb from the rad & route through the aux cooler & then back to the return line for the trans. Instructions are there & very easy to understand. I used & reccomend a B&M Super Cooler. The have a really strong design, cool really well & have a bypass feature if the trans fluid is cool it won't chill it further. Oh yeah under or about $100 too!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: True Towing Capacity?