General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

That truely sucked

Old 10-18-2013, 12:44 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough
Default That truely sucked

I bought my 05 last winter with no idea of tune up history
Figured it wouldn't hurt to give her a freshening up before winter comes around again
Pretty sure every thing was the stock installed parts but perhaps the plugs
Cap still had a bar code on it, ignition wires pre numbered
Number 6 plug boot came off in pieces after I tore the wire out

After losing my spark plug socket in the chassis on plug number 3 I gave up the thoughts of replacing it
I checked the gap on each of the old plugs I removed and they were still bang on so not sure I will sweat number 3

I have been spoiled with direct ignition on my Honda
It only takes about 20 minutes to re and re the plugs on it

I was lucky to get my spark plug socket back with a really hard reverse in the driveway

I am pretty sure the GM design guys have no friends LOL

Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

I keep on saying, when they built these trucks, there area always people in the design room that have terrible ideas... and they let those people make this truck to keep them happy and make them feel like they were contributing to the company LOL

Old 10-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

I always dread having to change the plugs i always go trough the wheel wells seems easier to me

Old 10-18-2013, 11:06 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

dont ask me how, but I did them on the first gen Jimmy, and I was able to get it done without unhooking anything, or going through the wheel well
What I found easy for the hard to get at one on the driver side was get the spark plug socket on the spark plug before anything else, once its on there, then you hook up the other things, swivel socket, extension ect. Then it will come right out, same way to install it, + adding the torque wrench.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Beginning Member
greatwhitenorth is on a distinguished road

I've always got it by sliding the socket on first and crack it with an open ended wrench.(Through the wheel well)

Old 10-19-2013, 11:17 AM

I might attempt it again
I want to replace the upper rad hose ( rubbed on air box)
My plan was threw the wheel well with a socket and wrench but that's when I dropped the socket
Wasn't willing to lose 2 sockets over 1 spark plug

Old 10-19-2013, 11:34 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by richphotos
dont ask me how, but I did them on the first gen Jimmy, and I was able to get it done without unhooking anything, or going through the wheel well
What I found easy for the hard to get at one on the driver side was get the spark plug socket on the spark plug before anything else, once its on there, then you hook up the other things, swivel socket, extension ect. Then it will come right out, same way to install it, + adding the torque wrench.
I believe its because of this..

i noticed the newer style 4.3 mounts on the round bodies sit a tiny bit higher. right in line of the steering shaft. Our 1st gens...the mounts mush overtime just lowering it JUST enough to get it out. Now,when you ever replace the mounts with fresh ones. try doing it. its a pita. I learned first hand.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:52 AM
BF Veteran

That makes sense. I will keep my mounts thank you LMAO

Old 10-19-2013, 03:10 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

yup. heck mines blown now,but im not replacing it. doesnt hurt nothing,and it lets me get to that plug LOL

Old 10-19-2013, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris015
I believe its because of this..

i noticed the newer style 4.3 mounts on the round bodies sit a tiny bit higher. right in line of the steering shaft. Our 1st gens...the mounts mush overtime just lowering it JUST enough to get it out. Now,when you ever replace the mounts with fresh ones. try doing it. its a pita. I learned first hand.
I had the driver side on the jack , and threw the wheel well lifting the skirt you can just barely see it
I think with the air box out I might be able to get a socket on with a wrench
I will only attempt when I am changing the upper rad hose since I will be that close

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: That truely sucked