General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

turning air cleaner lid upside down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road
Default turning air cleaner lid upside down?

I've heard of people turning the air filter lids upside down so it supposedly lets more air into the engine. I could see how it could let more air in but wouldn't it technically be a dumb thing to do because wouldn't it let more dirt and debris into the engine?

Old 05-22-2010, 11:40 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Old, old trick from back in the days of carburetors. It really was not of much benefit unless you rejetted the carb to put more fuel in with the (slightly) increased air. There should not be an issue with dirt since the filter would still be sealed around the top and bottom. Been there, done that.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounded better! LOL

Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM

Oh, I figured it wasn't much of a big deal. But I was kinda curious about it and figured I would ask lol.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Did not know this... I read somewhere about someone doing it... but did not know why

Old 05-22-2010, 12:42 PM

Since the filter blocks the dirt thought and there is more room to let dirt in wouldn't you just have to replace air filters a lot faster?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Neve gave it any thought. The old style round flters were so cheap that it was not a concern.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:20 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

It sounds badass when you flip the lids on round air cleaners. You can hear the engine sucking like you get with a CAI kit.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:26 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Wow that is some old school talking there.Half the kids on the forum are probably like,what is a round air filter and what is a carburator.Now lets not start talking points and condensers,someone is likely to have a heart attack. LOL

Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 AM

Lol if that was the case that would be pretty sad, I'm only 17 and I know what all of that is lol.
But after discussing it I think I'm a try it out just to see what it sounds like.

Quick Reply: turning air cleaner lid upside down?