General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Unusual green coolant reaction? Knowledge, please?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member
BLOND1WD is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Unusual green coolant reaction? Knowledge, please?

As manager and o.s. saleswoman for a local Auto Parts Store, I was calling on a customer today when he pointed at the 55 gal. drum he uses to hold his antifreeze. He purchases concentrated green by the gallons, and combines with water in the drum. 3/4 full, the antifreeze looked to have separated. A pale pastel green color at the bottom, and a darker more 'normal' looking at the top. I've never seen this, They ARE NOT using distilled water, but would that cause this severe of an issue within a matter of wks/days? I can't get my supplier (Shell oil) to return calls. Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-04-2011, 04:28 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What was in the barrel before antifreeze? Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion looking through the water? I know if Dexcool got mixed in it would be brownish, & look like sludge.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
What was in the barrel before antifreeze? Are you sure it isn't just an optical illusion looking through the water?
^^This^^ Also, what kind of water are they putting into it? If it's well water, there may be some minerals in there that are making for an unhappy mix.

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
I know if Dexcool got mixed in it would be brownish, & look like sludge.
Wow... Nothing of the sort really considering that most "green" coolants now have a very similar base with different additives... But that's for another thread. How about we leave the Dexcool right out of this discussion.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member

Well I appreciate all the input from you guys. I finally did talk to a tech rep from Shell Oil and he tells me that this is exactly what antifreeze does even in the radiator, just that we're not aware of it because we can't see it. Said it wouldn't make a difference if distilled water was used or not (although they recommend deionized and not distilled anyway), and just to give it a little stir to blend the 2 and create the solution. Thanks again!

Old 02-07-2011, 03:04 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

This has caused me to want to do a little experiment... Ill be back in a half hour.

EDIT:

Here we go, Ive set up 6 bottles, nobody is going to shake them, and Ill watch them over the next weeks and see if they separate or whatever may happen. I dont have a bottle of water handy, so Ill grab one, top up those 2 on the end, and shake them all again tonight. I can do more bottle combinations if theres any other ideas. Any predictions?

Last edited by ohsofly; 02-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Beginning Member

I can't wait to see what happens!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

Why couldnt you be around when i had science pojects to do?

Old 02-14-2011, 11:30 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Chances are your little science experiment won't do anything as the coolant is just sitting in a plastic bottle and not circulating through a rad and block that are rusty in side. If you buy premixed it isn't separated or sludgy in the plastic jug.

Last edited by xmradioguy; 02-14-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:28 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xmradioguy
If you buy premixed it isn't separated or sludgy in the plastic jug.
that was my initial thoughts as well, but ten thought, "well, we really can't see the bottom of the jug, and it does get mixed up on your way home.........."

and the same thing applies to the drum. how can you see the seperation line?

i'm also wondering why it was never noticed before, if indeed this is nornmal? (according to Shell)

Old 02-16-2011, 05:42 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

You can see how the green & dexcool are dark green almost brownish. It you get them mixing in a warm rusty or metal environment they all will change some more.
My reference to Dexcool is reference to any of the new antifreeze's used in these aluminum engines. If you are dealing with a 96 or newer GM product your dealing with Dexcool.
My 97 still has a little of the aftermath of once using Dexcool then being switched before I bought it. They never got out all the brownish/green sludge on the walls of the reservoir. The rest of the system is clean I did end up changing out the radiator it had that same sludge in it not very much but enough to notice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Unusual green coolant reaction? Knowledge, please?