General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

URGENT!!!: IS THIS UNSAFE??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default URGENT!!!: IS THIS UNSAFE??

SO, i posted a thread a while back about a wreck my in-laws had.... someone hit their camper...

the reese hitch on the truck is obviously twisted up and to the right..... they bought a new 30ft 6800lb camper... they are wanting to pick it up tomorrow.... and use this truck with the bent/broken reese hitch on it..... and pull it down a major interstate highway for over an hour at 65+ mph...... I keep telling them this is not in any way shape or form safe, the trailer will tow crooked and possibly come unhitched or cause an extremely bad accident.... they think they can do it..... IS IT AS UNSAFE AS I THINK IT IS???? OR WILL THEY BE FINE???

Old 08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: URGENT!!!: IS THIS UNSAFE??

I can't say just how unsafe it will be, but unsafe.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:37 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

I wouldn't do it, and wouldn't want to be on the road with someone like that. I guess it'll take the trailer coming off and killing someone before they will listen to you.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:00 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

thats what I told them..... I said, why risk a $37,000 trailer and hurting other people?? the interstate they will have to drive is very very busy too.... were talkin, if the reese hitch gives way, there WILL be a pile-up... no way to avoid it................................................ .... maybe I can talk some sense into them before 11am EST...... i honestly dont think the RV place will allow him to tow it home with the hitch messed up.... see he has to buy a new torsion bar hitch reciever and they adjust it and hitch the camper to the truck for him... so maybe the RV store will tell them it isnt safe...

if I had a bigger truck I would just go get it for them, but my blazer definitely isnt strong enough or big enough for a 30 footer and my silverado is also a 4.3L...

Old 08-04-2007, 01:47 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

All I can say is that if there was anything wrong with my hitch, I wouldn't be towing anything til it was replaced.
I don't tow a lot of weight but I still feel the extra pressure in braking and cornering. Now put all that weight into a little ball and a couple of peices of bent metal.........no way!

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/58A10F2026D14E09BDD84E5D01860147.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/39102AC733534DDA82C5273AE0F0E6A1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-04-2007, 07:27 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

My buddies dad had the same problem with their camper, some guy sideswipped em and pushed em into a guardrail, flipped the camper on its side and twisted the hitch the same way......have em check to make sure the frame isnt buckled as well.