General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

valvoline nextgen vs mobil super 5000

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default valvoline nextgen vs mobil super 5000

Done some researching over on bobtheoilguy and didnt find to much. Out of these 2 oils, which is supposively better and would you recommend? I used to always run mobil super 5000 conventional but noticed i was using some oil between my 4k oil changes. so last time I switched to the new valv. nextgen conventional oil and I noticed it used way less oil, when I changed it with the nextgen It was at the full mark on the dipstick and now its just a little below 3500 miles later. With the mobil super 5000 I had it in the middle of the OK range and after 4k it was right at the add line. So I was just wondering what oil has a better rep. The valvoline is 16 bucks for 5quarts and the mobil is 13 bucks so im not really concerned about price. Any insight is appreciated

Old 06-25-2012, 12:51 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, the NextGen stuff is partially recycled oil which I would not want to use in my engine no matter how they say they process it. Of the two, I would stick with the Mobil.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Starting Member

yea, the nextgen is advertised to be 50% recycled oil. I read a very long article on it and everyone had there own opinion. Most people said if valvoline is gonna put there name on something, then its gonna be a decent product. But i deffinantly see where your coming from. I think ill try the mobil out again, i think mobil has a better overall name then valvoline, and its cheaper.

I will say tho, with the next gen, I did notice slightly higher oil pressure then when i was running the mobil. I wonder if I should try running just regular valvoline that isnt re-cycled?

Last edited by vortec bowtie; 06-25-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:56 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

How many miles are on your truck? How often are you changing the oil?

Old 06-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Starting Member
redneck44244 is on a distinguished road

i personally like valvoline, ive ran valvoline and mobile 1 for a long period of time, it seemed with valvoline my engine ran better and burn less oil, oil pressures were about the same so thats what i go with, but thats just my 2 cents.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:22 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Recycled or not, oil is oil in this situation. They are both conventional and I wouldn't let the recycled oil percentage sway your opinion. Valvoline makes GREAT oil. I would take Valvoline over Mobil any day of the week. Heard some bad things about Mobil...

Old 06-25-2012, 07:09 PM
Starting Member

truck has 56k and i change it every 3-5k because i run conventional and do almost all city driving. Ive been doing a lot of reading online and some people were saying valvoline is towards the bottom on quality, and that mobil was in the middle. But redneck, I have to agree with you, my truck seems to run alot better/smoother with valvoline over mobil. I used mobil for my first 4 oil changes and it just seemed to use way more oil and oil pressure was lower. I just ran mobil because thats what the prev. owner always ran and i didnt want to change it up. But last oil change i went with the nextgen and so far have been really happy with it. Its been 3600 miles sense my last oil change and the oil is getting kinda dark but still looks better then what the mobil did at the same mileage. So im skeptical to switch back to mobil. I may just run regular valvoline and not the nextgen. Any thoughts on which of those two are better?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:16 PM

I perosnally would not run recycled oil. I don't care what valvoline claims, marketing is marketing. I have always ran mobil synthetic with all of my vehicles, but that's just me. I don't want to start a synthetic vs dino war lol.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:19 PM
Starting Member

I would possibly consider running a synthetic blend, but not full synthetic. Ive just heard bad things about people switching and then there truck starts to leak oil.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:27 PM

That is usually an issue with high mile vehicles. With yours being so low I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: valvoline nextgen vs mobil super 5000