General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Vehicles you have recovered with your Blazer...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned
MuddBunny84 is on a distinguished road

awww c'mon you guys..NO PICS!!!! mang....well you know whats said when no pics are posted...

Old 01-31-2010, 04:52 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is probably outdated by now, but here it goes. My 98 GMC Jimmy pulled a DODGE RAM VAN that was stuck on a sloped ice patch last Saturday. The local Boy Scout council was holding an event called Winterfest at the summer camp in the Catskill Mountains. I arrived ahead of the troop I was with (I made Eagle rank and turned 18 in mid-2009 and when I am home from college for a long weekend or vacation, I go to the meetings and participate in events as one of the leaders.) and as soon as I arrived in the uneven parking lot (which is just one huge sheet of ice all around. It is usually grass during the summer. Not a place for 2WD vehicles. I had to put mine in 4HI as soon as I turned into the lot because I was spinning my wheels. When I was still a scout in Summer 2008, I got the same truck stuck in that same lot because it had rained all week and my back wheels sunk 6" into the soft ground. Only way to free it was to use 4WD.), this Dodge Ram Van got stuck on a low spot that was pure ice. I asked if they needed help. I just happened to have my retractable 9k break strength tow strap accessible in the back of the Jimmy. I positioned my truck in front of the van, hooked one end of the strap to the tow hitch and handed the other end of the strap to the driver of the van. He hooked it somewhere underneath the bumper. I returned to my truck, put it in 4LO and 1 and signaled the driver of the van to accelerate at the same rate as my truck. The Jimmy's tires didn't even slip. Pulled the van a good 30-40 feet. Heard one of the hooks "clank" on the initial start (I thought it was my transmission!), but the Jimmy kept going. May not sound much because the van did help so I didn't blow my transmission or snap the strap, but the Jimmy got the job done nonetheless.

Also when I was in high school in December 2008, I pulled a parked Voltswagen Jetta off a patch of wet grass/mud after heavy rains. Me and a friend of mine were there because we were parked nearby and we knew the driver and knew that she was going to get stuck. We waited for her to come out to her car. She tried to drive it out normally, but she spun her wheels and made railroad tracks in the earth. This other friend of mine may drive a Jeep Wrangler, but where he learned about what NOT to do when recovering another vehicle, I don't know. He connected my tow rope w/ hooks onto the RADIATOR SUPPORT of the Jetta. He ripped a gash in the top of it, the hook went flying and made it impossible to close the hood EVEN AFTER I POINTED OUT THE RECOVERY HOOK ON THE REAR BUMPER WHEN WE KNEW TOWING WAS THE ONLY OPTION! I told him off, told him to get his cheap Jeep out of my sight, took back the tow rope, connected the rope between my tow hitch and the recovery hook on the Jetta's bumper, made sure they put the Jetta into Neutral with the brakes off, put my car into 1 and pulled it onto the pavement around other parked cars. I bet the principal of the school was getting ready to run outside because as we were hooking the cars up for the tow, one of the hall monitors came out and called the principal on the radio. That was my first experience with recovering a stuck vehicle with the Jimmy.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:40 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

pulled an f250 with a loaded grain wagon out.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:57 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda CRX
2 Chevy 1500 z71s
jeep cherokee, he fell through like a foot+ of ice
saturn Ion
Pontiac grand am
suburban out of a deep, snow covered ditch with an 8ft plow on front and a salt spreader on the rear 2x
one.shot.one.kill's Blazer after he lifted it
Pontiac bonneville
Dodge ram 1500
ZR5 s10
200* Jeep Wrangler
200* 2door 4x4 Blazer.

that's all of the one's that I can remember right now.

Last edited by papacope; 02-17-2010 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Added a new vehicle to the list. =]
Old 02-01-2010, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by papacope
...saturn Ion

...one.shot.one.kill's Blazer after he lifted it
that sounds a lot like a dime drop right there
...Pontiac bonneville...
I thought Kyle cared more for his ride than that

Old 02-01-2010, 12:45 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I can now officially say my blazer recovered a vehicle... (it's starter went bad)

It was a 98 1500 series pick em up truck....

I wasn't there because of school but the fiancee's father did it using ma hitch... lol

Old 02-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Beginning Member
BlackFireLS4.3 is on a distinguished road

Just got it, nothing yet!

Lots with the Bronco I had... it was one of the bigger trucks in town... used to get calls at all hours lol

good work guys! good pics and vids! Chevy FTMFW!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:15 PM
sporty_drew is on a distinguished road

Girlfriends beetle last week. Felt pretty good being able to pull her out when the guy that stopped to help her couldn't get the car out with his full size lol

Old 02-01-2010, 11:54 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

how the hell did i miss this thread?

Originally Posted by Sisk
Your wife has an Explorer? .
don't you remember she backed outta their driveway and creamed the side of his Blazer with it. and then she gave him s**t for being there in the first place.

Originally Posted by wlorton
I hit some ice this weekend... got into a ditch with the fiancees 04 stratus.... and who stops to pull me out? This certified mechanic who brought out a 4x4 4door red blazer... the irony....
now that's funny!

Originally Posted by sporty_drew
Girlfriends beetle last week. Felt pretty good being able to pull her out when the guy that stopped to help her couldn't get the car out with his full size lol
that would've been sweet with a pic.

like abig84, i can't keep track of all the rides i've pulled (or pushed!) outta trouble.

but during the Winter of Jan/99 i was out for 36 hours-had to drive to Napanee to rescue a friend & his family. normally a 2 1/2 to 3 hour drive each way, but took almost 12 hours round trip (stopped a few times along the way to "make a few bucks".

can't remember exactly how many vehicles, but i made $440 after the 2 tanks of fuel i went through.

but i do remember pushing a 1 ton dually tow truck, backwards, 400 feet up a 5% grade. got to the top of the road (about 30 feet from it) and stopped-dead. my brother say's "neither of your front wheels are spinning" (he had been walking around, but was standing on the sidewalk by then). i look down-D'OH! it slipped outta 4HI! pull it back into 4HI, let out the clutch & stand on it-and just about put the guy right across the street!

another guy got his big skirted Honda stuck on the ramp from the 409 EB, to the 401 EB (dont ask, the highways kinda run the same way. sorta). the tow truck that was there refused to go into the snow to pull this guy out-the ramp was a mess (i counted 12 cars stuck on it). and the tow truck driver said i'd "never be able to pull him up the ramp", and he "wasn't movin' outta the way for me". well that sounded like a challenge to me, and i ended up pulling this guy about 300 feet back up the ramp to a clear spot. the guy gave me an extra 20 bucks 'cause, as he said, "it was worth it to see the look on that tow truck driver's face!"

i also rescued some dumbass in a 26 foot straight truck (Budget rental) that hadn't checked his fuel gauge, and ran outta fuel-on a huuuggggghhh hill. pulled him about 5-600 feet to the top. this tool didn't even have the brains to pull over to the side of the road when the truck started to sputter and slow down. plus the PB didn't work on the truck (figures, it was a Budget rental) so he's sitting there, in the middle of the road, on a hill-with his foot on the brake!

it's always an adventure (kinda our club moto on any outting, actually) when i'm out and about.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:12 AM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

I have a few more to add to the list.

1996 ford explorer
2005 saturn Vue
2000 ford tarus

Quick Reply: Vehicles you have recovered with your Blazer...