General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Washing

Old 04-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Washing

Ok Guys. I want to wash my engine bay and need to know a couple things before I do. I know with the older cars that you had to cover most electronics and the Carb. What do I need to cover on mine(2005). I keep thinkin that I don't need to cover anything. Should I be concerned with anything else? What product you guys use??

Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I personally just spray it down and wipe all the dirt off. I found that tire foam works pretty good if you want to get your engine shinny. I really don't bother anymore because my engine is always muddy. but you shouldn't have to worry about electrical stuff all of that should be sealed.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Yea. I detailed cars for many years. Only problem we had was ford distributors and cherokees had a wierd sensor on intake. Never any problem with s10s. I've done my 93 a few times. Usually I just try not to blow a direct presure washer streem on the distributor or coil

Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM

Doesn't bother me for it not to be shiney(thats just a bonus) But i jaust want the overall dirt and grime just washed away. Nobody ever WANTS to work on a dirty engine if they don't need to. Any other recommendations on what to use other than the tire foam?? Engine degreaser is good and all but sometimes others have found better products they have used.

Old 04-15-2010, 01:02 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

skip the over priced engine degreaser.......use oven cleaner instead. a friend of mine (years ago) told me that's what he used on his 'Stang all the time-and it was always spotless!

he just sprayed everything down, ran the engine for like 5 or 10 minutes (just like your oven needs to be hot for it to work), and then rinsed it off.

and you cna even use the lemon scented cleaner for a refreshing smell.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:08 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

ha I forgot about the oven stuff. My friend just used that on his bmw earlier this week. that stuff does work really good

Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks guys!! Think its wise to use the pressure washer at the local self serve car wash or would just using the gargen hose be enough??

Old 04-19-2010, 10:57 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I fire up the engine, spray on the oven cleaner, put a grocery bag over the distributor, and let it sit for 20 minutes running and then blast it with the pressure washer while the engine is running.

When I worked in the detail shop, we washed every engine while it ran. That made for us never having one that wouldnt start for the customer cause the distributor was full of water. We also had this chemical acid stuff that you spray on aluminum and wash off fast and it makes the aluminum parts look like new. They sell it at the auto places, it smells like battery acid. Just dont leave it long at all, it only takes a few seconds.

Old 04-21-2010, 12:18 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Yeah anything with a foaming cleaner should work good. I'm with benedict though, I can't clean my engine bay anymore...it's always muddy and there is mud in places I can't even get to lol.