General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What can I get for my Blazer

Old 04-16-2012, 09:02 PM
sac79348 is on a distinguished road
Default What can I get for my Blazer

Ok I have a white 2004 Chevy Blazer, 4 door, 4 WD 100800 miles and with some issues.

It runs fine but the ABS and Brake lights both come on while driving. They stay on most of the time but not all. I had it checked out a few months ago and they found no issues with the Brakes but found the computer is bad and needs to be replaced. They told me its a 900 dollar part.

Also the front deflector was half torn off several years ago by a cut off tree stump (long story). No other damage was done under the car other than the deflector being torn in half. The liscense plate has been held on by one screw since.

Other than that its in very good condition. Runs fine ( I use it every day). The interior is very clean and except for a small worn hole in the cloth on the drivers seat the rest of the seats and carpeting is in good condition. No issues at all with the dash or any of the electrical componants. I have gotten regular oil changes throughout the life of the car and fixed all major issues (new AC 2 years ago, new fuel injector last year). The tires are fairly new (10-15 thousand miles on them or less).

I am looking at trading it in or selling it and want to know what I should ask in return for it. KBB says around 4000 to 5000. A dealer recently quoted me 2500-3500 before inspecting it. I have seen several different prices looking around online.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:23 AM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sac79348
Ok I have a white 2004 Chevy Blazer, 4 door, 4 WD 100800 miles and with some issues.

It runs fine but the ABS and Brake lights both come on while driving. They stay on most of the time but not all. I had it checked out a few months ago and they found no issues with the Brakes but found the computer is bad and needs to be replaced. They told me its a 900 dollar part.

Also the front deflector was half torn off several years ago by a cut off tree stump (long story). No other damage was done under the car other than the deflector being torn in half. The liscense plate has been held on by one screw since.

Other than that its in very good condition. Runs fine ( I use it every day). The interior is very clean and except for a small worn hole in the cloth on the drivers seat the rest of the seats and carpeting is in good condition. No issues at all with the dash or any of the electrical componants. I have gotten regular oil changes throughout the life of the car and fixed all major issues (new AC 2 years ago, new fuel injector last year). The tires are fairly new (10-15 thousand miles on them or less).

I am looking at trading it in or selling it and want to know what I should ask in return for it. KBB says around 4000 to 5000. A dealer recently quoted me 2500-3500 before inspecting it. I have seen several different prices looking around online.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Remember the dealer is always going to short change you cause they are going to turn around and sell it (like pawn stars XD cant stop watching it) but with just over 100K i think if you privately sell it you might get close to that. you just have to monitor your local craigslist. i would guess 4K is what you are going to get with the ABS problem and if the dealer offers you 3.5K take it and run (less you got to deal with). With gas going up less people are looking for these things anymore, they want fuel efficient little i-4

Other little details that will determine the value, tire tread left, alignment, I would wax it and clean the $#&! out of the rims. and if its just a bug deflector that is broken take it off makes the car look better, put the licence plate holder on right, clean the interior. You want to make it look like you took care of it and not someone else's headache (not saying you didnt but go over the top with this stuff) umm i would suggest power washing the engine but thats not always a good idea (can screw with stuff if done wrong). Just clean it up some. make sure there isnt any knocks in the steering or drivetrain, if so fix it. This is all basic stuff but when selling cars first impressions can be everything.

Last edited by K1500brute; 04-17-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

X2 on all the detailing stuff K1500 said. But around here a 2004 with that low of miles would go for about 6-7K from what ive seen. sometimes even 8k. And if your computer really is bad 900 for a new one is outrageous. You could get a TUNED computer for 300 or less, let alone a stock one.

If the steelership was talking about your PCM being bad then look at some place like PCMforless.com and either get a new one or print out a quote and give it to the person you are selling the truck to. I think its about 260 for a tuned PCM (better power, gas mileage, ect..)

Or if they were talking about some other computer in the truck, it still wouldnt be at all close to $900

Old 04-17-2012, 09:10 AM
sac79348 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by K1500brute
Remember the dealer is always going to short change you cause they are going to turn around and sell it (like pawn stars XD cant stop watching it) but with just over 100K i think if you privately sell it you might get close to that. you just have to monitor your local craigslist. i would guess 4K is what you are going to get with the ABS problem and if the dealer offers you 3.5K take it and run (less you got to deal with). With gas going up less people are looking for these things anymore, they want fuel efficient little i-4

Other little details that will determine the value, tire tread left, alignment, I would wax it and clean the $#&! out of the rims. and if its just a bug deflector that is broken take it off makes the car look better, put the licence plate holder on right, clean the interior. You want to make it look like you took care of it and not someone else's headache (not saying you didnt but go over the top with this stuff) umm i would suggest power washing the engine but thats not always a good idea (can screw with stuff if done wrong). Just clean it up some. make sure there isnt any knocks in the steering or drivetrain, if so fix it. This is all basic stuff but when selling cars first impressions can be everything.
I was looking at taking the deflector off last night. I just dont know where and how to attach the liscense plate if I do. I dont think attaching it with metal wire would be a big hit with the dealer.

Yea the tire tread and alignment are good (a friend yesterday looked at my car and asked if I just bought new tires). And the car is clean. I just had it detailed inside and am keeping it clean till I trade it in.

One more issue that I forgot about is the handle that reclines the drivers seat broke in half last year. Is that something that I can replace myself or do I need special tools for that? I still have it and can recline the seat with it (just hold where it broke) but was unable to super glue it back on. I was thinking of going to an auto parts store and see if they can get me a replacement.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 AM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sac79348
I was looking at taking the deflector off last night. I just dont know where and how to attach the liscense plate if I do. I dont think attaching it with metal wire would be a big hit with the dealer.

Yea the tire tread and alignment are good (a friend yesterday looked at my car and asked if I just bought new tires). And the car is clean. I just had it detailed inside and am keeping it clean till I trade it in.

One more issue that I forgot about is the handle that reclines the drivers seat broke in half last year. Is that something that I can replace myself or do I need special tools for that? I still have it and can recline the seat with it (just hold where it broke) but was unable to super glue it back on. I was thinking of going to an auto parts store and see if they can get me a replacement.
If you want just take the front bracket off. just drive it without unless the bracket scratched up the bumper then leave it hag there. Or jerry rig it by drilling the a long screw through the bracket and the plastic bumper. just dont take off the licence plate off until you sell it. I mean no one is going to see it anyway. I wouldnt worry about the front licence plate law in your state. In most places its just another place for the cops to gun you. i have driven without my front one in Ohio for years and even got pulled over and they didnt care.

and if you are taking it to a dealer try and fix it. if you are privately selling it just talk it over with the buyer, and tell them you take of X amount cause it broke. the more you are up front with them the more likely they will come back for a second look.

diagram passenger but it might help

Last edited by K1500brute; 04-18-2012 at 02:03 AM.