General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What Is The Farthest You Have Taken Your Blazer And How Did It Feel?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
EricR is on a distinguished road
Default What Is The Farthest You Have Taken Your Blazer And How Did It Feel?

I was just wondering what the longest road trip you have taken your Blazer on is. I have to admit (other than my Lexus which I don't take on road trips) this is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever taken on a long distance drive. In the past week I have driven from Wisconsin, to Kentucky, down to Texas, and I am currently on my way back up to Wisconsin. The whole trip is adding about 2500+ miles I believe but it is a lower mileage Blazer having only 110k original miles (1998).

So far the trip has been amazing. It is extremely comfortable, the seats haven't hurt my back at all and the lumbar support helps. It also stays in a very straight line and surprisingly it has the feel of a lower end luxury vehicle going over bumps and such. It stands up to gusts of winds from semi's pretty well.

The only issues I don't like are of course gas mileage. I have gotten an average of 17.4 which does leave a bit to be desired as I have to gas up about every 3 or so hours something that a bigger gas tank could have fixed. Another thing is the cabin noise, while it is quiet there do seem to be a few wind gaps in the doors seal that let a small amount of noise in. This could be, however, from age. The automatic climate control and automatic sound adjustment somewhat makes up for this as it allows me to focus more on the road and less on adjusting settings in the truck.

Anyway, I was wondering about your experiences on long distance driving and how you review the Blazer for this task.

Last edited by EricR; 11-08-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:51 AM
Beginning Member
harley745 is an unknown quantity at this point

you should have asked, how far have you taken your Blazer without stopping to work on it.....lol just kiddin.......good subject.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My 89 S15 Jimmy has been driven from California to the east coast and back. From California to the gulf coast and back. From Gulf Coast to the UP in Michiagan and Back. I have never had a breakdown on a long trip. The car now has over 430,000 miles on the odometer. It is still my Daily Driver.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:34 AM
kozal01 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by harley745
you should have asked, how far have you taken your Blazer without stopping to work on it.....lol just kiddin.......good subject.
^^^ ha ha isnt that the truth!

We drove my wifes blazer from Michigan to Virginia beach for our honeymoon and it did well, had to stop and add coolant every couple hundred miles. (cracked radiator) Besides the constant fiddling with the HVAC to keep it at a nice temp inside it was a good ride, averaged 22 MPGS there and back. (about 1800 mile round trip)

Old 11-09-2011, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by harley745
Haha I was worried about that but so far it has done well. Although the trip isn't done yet. I had just put $2500 into repairs though so that might have something to do with it.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I would take the wife's '06 Monte Carlo on a road trip long before I would take the Blazer. 32 mpg vs. 16 mpg, no contest. From the mods I've done, my Blazer rides like it should have when I bought it new, like a truck and not a car. The Monte rides just like a car should.

That being said, I've taken numerous road trips over the years with zero problems along the way. I've averaged just under 20,000 miles a year since buying it new over 11 years ago.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Beginning Member
MrSluggo is on a distinguished road

I drove my Blazer my Blazer to Texas once from Minnesota, and had to get the EGR valve replaced when I got to So Padre. I have also drove it from Minnesota to Denver and back about twenty times. Now I'm trying to get it fixed. Truck has been great for doing construction work.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:18 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

About 2400 miles from the south to the north and then east and back same route. 2 months after I got it with no a/c and two other adults packed for 10 days trip..

Old 11-10-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by chevytruckdood
About 2400 miles from the south to the north and then east and back same route. 2 months after I got it with no a/c and two other adults packed for 10 days trip..
Now that's what I call a road trip hah. From Kentucky to Texas I had to pack my friends girlfriends stuff in there and that added probably a good 500 pounds. The truck is in for an oil change today and I'll have them kinda glance over things just to make sure but other than that I was impressed. The most gas efficient vehicle I ever took on a trip was my Focus though but also the most uncomfortable.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Took my K5 250 miles then 250 back, fresh oil change and fresh tires.

She wanted to bog down whenever a hill came around. Speed limit 70, already going 75ish... speedo tops out at 85 did not make for a fun time gettin up them hills. But other than that she never overheated, I was nice and comfy with lots of room for stretching during traffic lol.

Got lost on the way back... it always happens. Been going back and forth from my moms to my dad's since I was like... super young and I still get lost on the way back to the beach lol.

Also had to stop twice for 60 bucks worth of gas. Maybe could have made it to my moms with 1 stop... but I wasn't gonna chance it.

Also took it on a 140 mile trip... fuel pump went out. limped it to the destination and had to wait a couple days to tow it all the way home. lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What Is The Farthest You Have Taken Your Blazer And How Did It Feel?