General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Cleaned all my random crap out of the blazer today I'm hoping to get back to really making progress on it in the next week or two. And I ordered a complete set of Weathertech floor liners and some new "upgraded" escalade tailgate lift gate supports for the Yukon today.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Beginning Member
Sirloin is on a distinguished road
Default New U-Joint

The blazer had a harmonic vibration in the drive line and a small audible 'clunk' when forward or reverse motion started. The furthest rear U-Joint was very dry and was missing some of the needle bearings. Much better with a new one!
cost about 14 dollars and a little time.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Ready for a sticker, new ball joint, new pitman arm(that sucked) new rotors all the way around. And some new rims!

Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM
DesertStorm is on a distinguished road

had an eventful weekend. took some time off work and went on vacation. when i got back i put my new tires on and installed my new mirrors. truck looks great! 31x10.5x15 with only a shackle/tbar crank and 1.5" spacers in the rear. still have my body lift to put on. only rubs at the back of the frame when at full lock. so im not worried about it.

ordered steering stabilizer from rough country this morning.. will be here friday. also about to go shopping for a roof rack basket for it. and MAYBE a curved LED light bar in the future.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_8520.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_8521.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_8522.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 11:47 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Nothing. When my son and I were getting ready to work on it he tripped and dislocated his left elbow for the second time (the 1st time was when we were working on tearing down the engine last year). We spent the entire evening at the hospital. Hopefully he'll have a speedy recovery.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Well that sucks Brian! Hope he recovers quick.

Originally Posted by newguy
Ready for a sticker, new ball joint, new pitman arm(that sucked) new rotors all the way around. And some new rims!
Gotta love MA inspection time ... AND pitman arm jobs on these things. Might as well replace the steering box while it's out. I've done 4 of them so far - 2 first gens and 2 second gens. Not one of GM's best brainstorms, that's for sure. I should have taken my own advice on our '89 and replaced the box. What a sloppy steering machine that thing is. Everything in front is recent too, except for that.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite

Gotta love MA inspection time ... AND pitman arm jobs on these things. Might as well replace the steering box while it's out. I've done 4 of them so far - 2 first gens and 2 second gens. Not one of GM's best brainstorms, that's for sure. I should have taken my own advice on our '89 and replaced the box. What a sloppy steering machine that thing is. Everything in front is recent too, except for that.
Trust me I thought of it

Old 03-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite

Thanks Smitty, I'm sure hoping for some good news when we see the orthopedic surgeon on Monday. His pain pills are keeping him rather out of it part of the time and loopy the other part.

Well, today I took the motor mounts, several brackets, and the starter to the carwash and sprayed the rat droppings off of them. Hopefully tomorrow the rain will hold off and I'll get some paint on them. I'd also like to touch up a spot or two on the valve covers I painted, get them put on, and then spray the heads. I can also put a couple of small things on the engine. After that I'm at a stand still until I get help from someone who can re-hang the come-along to lift the engine so I can put the front pulley, flywheel, and motor mounts on the engine.

I've never done a pitman arm or steering gearbox on anything but my old 77, 78, & 79 Thunderbirds but those sure were fun. Certainly tightened up the steering on them though.

Old 03-19-2015, 10:07 AM
BF Veteran

So i went for my sticker today after 1.5 days of pitman arm, ball joint and e brake adjusting in the cold and the guy says ,lights, yep, horn, yep, wipers, yep brake lights, yep, your good! didnt check anything else! He does know i take care of my vehicles and I also told him for his piece of mind what I had just fixed

Old 03-19-2015, 08:44 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

I'm tuckered out, but it sure looks pretty....

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-image.jpg

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?