General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM
melliferal is on a distinguished road

Today I replaced the Jimmy's fuel pump. It was hard starting when I first got it used a year ago (had to cycle the relay a few times to get it started each time), and the start time just got worse and worse over the year. When I initially bought the vehicle, its owner wasn't present, but when asked about the hard starting issue his wife mentioned that all she knew was he had a "trick" where he'd run the windshield washer for a few seconds before starting the engine. That made no sense whatsoever to me until I got it home and took a much longer look under the hood. Here's what I found:

There's all kinds of things wrong with that picture, but what I want you to concentrate on is that tiny, skinny tube that runs up the intake ducting and is tucked underneath the clamp. See the one I mean? That tube is the front windshield washer hose. This guy was using it either to pump a negligible amount of extra air into the intake (why?) or pump starting fluid into the intake after spraying it into the windshield washer bottle. I suppose he thought himself clever. Anyway, it's a good thing I noticed that before I put any washer fluid in the tank.

Finances have been tough, but finally about a month ago, the engine started acting lean on acceleration in addition to taking a ridiculously long time to start and I couldn't wait anymore. One new pump - thing starts instantly and runs good and strong. Used some leftover money to buy wiper blades and some tubing, and rebuilt the front windshield washer system (the vehicle has a replacement hood taken from a Blazer/S-10; all hood-mounted tubing was missing), so now the Jimmy runs and has windshield wiping-washing in time for the approaching spring. The rear window washing tubing was disconnected as well; I reconnected it, and noticed a pretty bad leak looks like right near the end gate; hopefully the tubing is easy to get to back there, but it's not a priority right now. Next priority is transmission rebuild.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-d7dde19c.jpg  
Old 03-06-2013, 02:11 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

He was probably trying to do a methanol injection system on the cheap. Google it to see the benefits of an actual system.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:02 AM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Well, today I got another Blazer. 2000 model, 2 dr, 4wd. Been gone from the site for a while; but I'm back. Will try to get pics posted soon.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
UberFail is on a distinguished road

Feb 5th i finally installed my new tires! also did a bastard pack for leafs and installed air shocks for the back. Loved how this rode so comfortable, couldn't be held back by the deep snow the friday night after that fell.

Feb 9th, BLACK ICE... worst thing to hit @ 100km/h (65mph)

Not me pictured in this photo below

You can see the area that I had my head in - just as a reference I almost touch the roof with my head in any vehicle and had this seat sitting almost as low as it could go.

as in the last photo and this photo you can see how crushed down the roof was - the windshield was almost flat against the dash.

This is the rear passenger door shut flush to the body

How did I fare out in this all? I got myself out of the vehicle without needing to cut the belt (supported my weight up and the belt released as normal), gave my statement to the cop, had the vehicle towed off the highway. Went to the ER locally and had xray's done - they immediately strapped me against a back board and put a hard collar neck brace on me and sent me via ambulance to the nearest trauma hospital for CT scans. I fractured my C5 vertebrae in this accident and was VERY lucky to not be paralized, seriously injured, or dead. I also was fortunate enough to not need surgery or the "halo" brace to hold my head still. Hopefully in the next few weeks i can stop wearing this removable brace I now have and begin the physio therapy.

Too close of a call to say the least! and I thank this Jimmy for giving up its life to save mine. Farewell to you 2001 Jimmy you treated me right in the time I owned you.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img01.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img02.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img03.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img04.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img05.jpeg  

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img07.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img12.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img15.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img13.jpeg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img14.jpeg  

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img17.jpeg  

Last edited by UberFail; 03-06-2013 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Missed a photo.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Yikes!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:36 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Damn, Glad you are okay, should not have been going so fast man.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Whoa, really glad you're safe.

Old 03-06-2013, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Thogert
He was probably trying to do a methanol injection system on the cheap. Google it to see the benefits of an actual system.
Now that is interesting. It does make sense in combination with his alleged racing modification, and it's a much less daft idea than using the windshield washer tank as a starting fluid injector.

However, my ultimate goal is to restore this vehicle to a serious daily driver, and in such conditions a water-methanol injection system is of dubious benefit since I don't sit on the gas pedal. The windshield washer system on the other hand is very necessary, living in the dusty outlands as I do. I will accept the trade-off.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member
Austind85 is on a distinguished road

I'm 16 HA I am still a young buck.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Banned
chestypuller can only hope to improve

Awesome! Time to finally make it a convertable!!!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?