General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 01:53 AM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing terribly exciting. The LED bulbs I ordered arrived yesterday, so I replaced the ones in the tail lights. I'm waiting until the new flasher module arrives before I do the rest of them, though.

Old 07-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Huh?!
*edit* Googled it, I do not really see the benefit to do so, seems dangerous too, I think having 20 gallons of fuel under the truck is bad enough, then to add propane to the AC system.
Yeah I get that alot. Over in Europe they've been using R290 for a number of years with excellent results - they even use it in home refrigerators.

R12 used to turn to phosgene gas (nerve gas!) in the presence of flame ... but we drove around 60 years with the stuff before Dupont's scam got rid of it, & I've never heard of anyone dying from it. How many people do you know have been burned alive in gasoline fires over the past 110 years? Not many. No one in the history of my family has, and my grandfather was in the stuff every day as a mechanic. There are more things out there you can be killed or injured from, IMHO.

I will say that the stuff works better in systems designed for R12, and even better in TXV systems, over the new fad of CCOT systems found in everything these days. That said, in a R134a system, a blend of hydrocarbons works much better than 134a. The problem with CCOT systems is there's just one fixed orifice that never changes, so the head pressures can get up there with straight propane, & you never get optimal evaporator flooding. Blending it with butane (R600) helps keep the pressures down. I have that blend in our '86 Grand Marquis, and it blows 42°F out the vents. It's nothing more than Envirosafe, Red Tek, etc - most hydrocarbon refrigerants use this blend. It's a better refrigerant than R134a, that's all I know.

You'll find endless pages of arguments on the subject, but all I know is, it WORKS.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

^word.

So,today ive got a few things i gotta do to my newly purchased blazer. I guess im going to make a "build" thread. For my journey with this one.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:03 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Propain was used as a refrigerant back in the old days on refriges,nobody never died from them that I ever heard of.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

I actually drove mine home last night! I also had a couple beers in my tool bag that an old lady gave me for fixing her recliner and my staple puller decided it would be funny to poke a hole in one of the cans so now my tool bag and my blazer smell like beer!!! I hope I don't get pulled over My customers are going to think I'm an alcoholic when I walk in with my tool bag and it stinks of beer lol!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:30 AM
slcblazer is on a distinguished road

Finally had enough with the insistent rattling and plastic squeaking so I came up with a brilliant plan. I had some plastic lying around from when I installed my stereo. Cut and glued some tabs then screwed them into the door and BOOM! no more door panel rattling!

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-1etme7pl.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-htvxxpfl.jpg  
Old 07-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Zibignu is on a distinguished road

Man... Tranny giving me troubles this week. On Sunday my engine light went on P0753 (1-2 shift solenoid) so I did a bit of research and figured I would change that myself.

So I go to CT and they have to order in the 2 solenoids. Only 1 day away so I park the truck for now. When I go in the next day to get the solenoids they only brought in 1. So I went with that and figured if/when the other solenoid goes, I will deal with that one then.

I discovered, when starting the project, that these 4L60E's don't have drain plugs for the tranny. What a pain. After making a complete mess of myself and driveway, I get the solenoid, new filter and gasket installed without much trouble.

The test drive was really good. It shifted through all the gears and into OD on its own.

30 mins later, the engine light appears and throws the code P0757 (I think thats the one) for the 2-3 shift solenoid! Truck goes back into its failsafe mode of having only 2,3 and rev.

I read from many places, if your in there doing one of them, replace them both because the other is sure to go soon... but 30 mins? really? I made such a mess, and used just about all the sand in my kids sandbox to clean up the previous mess, I did not want to do the work again.

Anyways, the truck is in the shop now. They are going to replace the 2-3 and see if that fixes the issues. He also has a transmission on the shelf built to stage 1 specs that he would install in my truck for $1500.

Just waiting now to see if I need the rebuilt tranny or if mine, with 300k on it, is good for a few more.

Cheers!
Dave.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Starting Member
bear159 is on a distinguished road

Well I drove my jimmy to the shop today, Ac compressor is making some bad grinding noises... They told me the most it would cost is $250 but it might be less depending on whats wrong.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

I did a lot on mine today...Ok not really I just cleaned the K&N air filter.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

replaced my rad hose today. Found that the control arm bushing is shot(clunkin) and it needs a total tune up. So who has $150.00 i can have? lol

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?